The physics of the greenhouse effect.

In summary, the conversation is about the greenhouse effect and its physics. The participants have different opinions on the topic and are looking for credible sources and information. Climate change is mentioned but is currently a banned topic. The conversation also discusses a paper by Gerlich & Tsceuschnur and its rebuttal by J.B. Halpern et al. The use of peer-reviewed publications as sources is emphasized.
charmedbeauty
I have to do some research on the greenhouse effect (the physics of it anyway)
I am not to familiar with the topic and am on a tight schedule.

If anyone has some interesting links, thoughts please share.

I am interested in the role of clouds in GHG (greenhouse gases), how much do we know about this?

also any thoughts on Gerlich & Tsceuschnur paper (Falsification Of
The Atmospheric CO2 Greenhouse Effects Within The Frame Of Physics)

here is a link if anyone is interested
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0707.1161v4.pdf

In the abstract they say The atmospheric greenhouse effect, an idea that many authors trace back to the traditional works of Fourier (1824), Tyndall (1861), and Arrhenius (1896), and which is still supported in global climatology, essentially describes a fictitious mechanism, in which a planetary atmosphere acts as a heat pump driven by an environment that is radiatively interacting with but radiatively equilibrated to the atmospheric system. Ac- cording to the second law of thermodynamics such a planetary machine can never exist."

how true is this? are these guys credible?

anymore relevant information on absorption/emission properties of molecules? Line broadening? CO2 line saturation.

I'm confused I went from one physics teacher telling me it was a load of garbage because of the clouds and the oceans.

Now I have my new physics prof. telling me it's all true and it's very alarming?

Im only a student with limit knowledge and it's hard to find information that isn't to abstract but not to "blanket over the earth" analogues.

Please any input is greatly appreciated. And please just keep to the physics of it I don't care about the "debate".

Physics news on Phys.org
It's true, but I think climate change is a banned topic here.

1. See if the paper has been published. If it hasn't, and the preprint appeared in, what, 2009, then you should find something dubious here.

2. See a rebuttal of this paper in:

J.B. Halpern et al., Int. J. Mod. Phys. B v.24, p.1309 (2010).

In the future, please use ONLY peer-reviewed publications as citation or sources. The list of accepted peer-reviewed journals for this forum can be found in the same thread as our PF Rules.

3. As has been mentioned, climate change topics are banned at the moment.

Zz.

I have here a pdf copy of Principles of Planetary Climate by R. T. Pierrehumbert. At the moment book is published by Oxford University Press and no longer available for download, but I believe the copy I downloaded last year from the author's site is completely legal, at least I wasn't able to find anything that would say I should delete it from my disk and not give it to others. Please contact me off line if you want it.

ZapperZ said:
1. See if the paper has been published. If it hasn't, and the preprint appeared in, what, 2009, then you should find something dubious here.

2. See a rebuttal of this paper in:

J.B. Halpern et al., Int. J. Mod. Phys. B v.24, p.1309 (2010).

In the future, please use ONLY peer-reviewed publications as citation or sources. The list of accepted peer-reviewed journals for this forum can be found in the same thread as our PF Rules.

3. As has been mentioned, climate change topics are banned at the moment.

Zz.

3. Oops sorry. noted.

1. What is the greenhouse effect?

The greenhouse effect is a natural process in which certain gases in the Earth's atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide and water vapor, trap heat from the sun and keep the Earth's surface warm. This is essential for life on Earth, as without the greenhouse effect, the Earth's average temperature would be much colder.

2. How does the greenhouse effect work?

The sun's energy reaches the Earth's atmosphere and some of it is reflected back into space. The rest of the energy is absorbed by the Earth's surface and warms it. As the Earth's surface warms up, it emits infrared radiation, which is absorbed by greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. These gases then re-emit the radiation in all directions, including back to the Earth's surface, keeping it warm.

3. What factors affect the strength of the greenhouse effect?

The strength of the greenhouse effect is affected by the concentration of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, such as carbon dioxide, methane, and water vapor. The more greenhouse gases there are, the stronger the greenhouse effect. Human activities, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, have significantly increased the concentration of these gases in the atmosphere, leading to an intensified greenhouse effect.

4. What are the consequences of an enhanced greenhouse effect?

An enhanced greenhouse effect can lead to global warming, as the Earth's surface becomes warmer due to increased absorption of infrared radiation. This can have various consequences, including rising sea levels, changes in weather patterns, and more frequent and intense natural disasters. It can also lead to negative impacts on ecosystems and human societies.

5. How can we mitigate the greenhouse effect?

To mitigate the greenhouse effect, we need to reduce the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. This can be done by reducing our carbon footprint through actions such as using renewable energy sources, practicing sustainable agriculture, and promoting reforestation. Additionally, technologies such as carbon capture and storage can help remove excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. It is crucial for individuals, governments, and businesses to take action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate the effects of the greenhouse effect.