The position of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes

In summary, the angle between the two axes affects the movement of the point on the disk. The disk can't turn around itself if the angle is at 1°, but it can if the angle is at 20°. If you accelerate the support, the point on the disk moves up and down.
Gh778

Homework Statement

It's a question I ask to myself. A support turns at ##w_0## and can accelerate. A disk on the support can turn around itself (side view) but at start ##w_1=0##. I done the experimentation with 2 wheels but I'm not sure about my tests. There is an angle between 2 axes:

a58.png

The Attempt at a Solution

If the angle ##\alpha=0## the point A (A if fixed on the purple disk) is not always at the same position in the support, like that (top view):

a59.png

Now, if the angle is at 1° is it the same ?

And the angle at 20° is it the same ?

I tested a lot of time and I can see the point A is always like that. If it's true, it would say the point moves down and after up (etc.) when the support rotates (in the side view).

The velocity of the up/down of the point changes with the angle. When the angle is at 90° the point A never moves up or down. So it seems the law is with a cosinus of the angle.

The purple disk can't turn around itself if I accelerate the support so the point A must be like I drawn in the top view, even the angle is not 0, but I find strange that the point A move up/down.

a60.png

Is it the same if I accelerate the support ?

If you could explain to me if there is an error please ?

Homework Equations

Only a question to myself.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle is more like that in fact:

a61.png

I tested with an angle from 0° to 20° and with ##\omega_1=0##: the point A moves up/down like I drawn before, I can't test with an higher angle.

Does someone knows if the point A changes its "altitude" when the support rotates and ##\omega_1=0## ?

Last edited:
Nobody knows ?

I tested all this afternoon and I see the point A moves up/down like I drawn.

Nobody ? The question is not clear ?

Hello,

I simulated it on Ansys Spaceclaim. It's ok, a fixed point on the disk moves up/down like I thought (altitude from the ground). The disk rotates around itself without friction and even at start there is no rotation around itself but the angular velocity is lower than the support. The support rotates at ##\omega_0##

The video of the simulation, I drawn a fixed black circle on the support to look at the rotation of the disk around itself:

The angular velocity (example, the angle from the vertical is at 62°):

ang_Vel.png

The angular velocity of the disk (without friction) is ##cos(\alpha) \omega_0## with ##\omega_0## the angular velocity of the support, and ##\alpha## is the angle of the axis of the disk from the vertical.

I understood why the disk rotates at start around itself.

Like the disk rotates around its center of gravity and around itself it has more energy than it rotates around its center of gravity only. So the support must receives a torque at start. Maybe the torque is like that :

dc4.png

I'm not sure because I can reduce the thickness of the part of the disk in contact with the support. Have you an idea how the support receives a negative torque from the disk to have the sum of energy constant at each time ?

Last edited:

1. What is the position of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes?

The position of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes is determined by the intersection of the two axes. This is known as the origin, or (0,0) point.

2. How do you determine the coordinates of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes?

The coordinates of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes can be determined by measuring the distance of the point from each axis. This can be done using a ruler or by using the Pythagorean theorem.

3. What is the difference between 2 rotations and 2 axes?

In mathematics, a rotation refers to the process of rotating a shape or point around a fixed point, while an axis refers to a line or point around which the rotation occurs. In the case of 2 rotations with 2 axes, there are two separate rotations happening at the same time, each with its own axis of rotation.

4. How can you represent the position of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes?

The position of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes can be represented using Cartesian coordinates, where the x-axis and y-axis intersect at the origin point. Alternatively, polar coordinates can also be used, where the distance from the origin and the angle from the positive x-axis are used to determine the position of the point.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the position of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes?

Understanding the position of a point in 2 rotations with 2 axes is important in fields such as engineering, computer graphics, and navigation. It is used to describe the position and movement of objects in space, such as in the design of structures, creating 3D models, and determining the direction and distance of a moving object.