Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The probability distribution function of

1. Aug 15, 2004 #1
    I've been practicing on how to get the probability distribution/density functions of certain random variables by solving some questions in my book. I cam accross this particular problem, and though, It seems easy, the answer does not comply with what I got (or simply I got the wrong answer.)

Urn I and Urn II each has two red chips and two white chips. Two chips are drawn from each urn without replacement. Let [tex] X_1 [/tex] be the number of red chips taken from Urn I, [tex] X_2 [/tex] be the number of red chips taken from Urn II. Find the
    [tex]p_X_3(k)[/tex] where [tex]X_3 = X_1 + X_2[/tex]

I got the answer when [tex]X_3 = 0[/tex] so thought I go with the case where [tex]X_3 = 1[/tex] and this can happen if either [tex]X_1 = 1[/tex] and [tex] X_2 = 0[/tex] or vice versa[tex]

P(X_3 = 1) = \left ( \left (\begin{array}{cc}2 \\ 1 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{cc}2 \\ 1\end{array} \right) / \left( \begin{array}{cc}4 \\ 2\end{array} \right) \right) \right \cdot \left ( \left (\begin{array}{cc}2 \\ 0 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{cc}2 \\ 2\end{array} \right) / \left( \begin{array}{cc}4 \\ 2\end{array} \right) \right) \cdot 2[/tex]

since you can have [tex]\left (\begin{array}{cc}2 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex] ways of getting 1 red chip and [tex]\left (\begin{array}{cc}2 \\ 1 \end{array} \right)[/tex] ways of getting the white chip out of [tex]\left (\begin{array}{cc}4 \\ 2 \end{array} \right)[/tex] ways of getting 2 chips from a set of 4 chips from Urn I and for Urn II there are 2 choose 0 ways of getting 0 red and 2 choose 2 ways of getting 2 white chips, so you multiply their probabilities, then multiply by two since the cases of Urn I and Urn II can interchange. I got a probability of 2/9, but when I referred to the answer at the appendix of the book the answer should be 2/90. Am I missing something did I misinterpret the question or is my computation wrong?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2004 #2
    There is going to be 6 ways for the first urn and 6 for the second urn, so that gives us 36 choices. Thus probability 2/90 is impossible.

To start from the begining: If we draw a red on the first draw, the chances is 2/4, to draw a red a second time is now 1/3, thus two reds are 1/6. Similarly for two whites from the same urn. This leaves a 2/3 chance that we will draw both a red and a white from the same urn.

To check the work we see that all cases must add to 1.

0 Red = 1/6 from urn one, 1/6 from urn 2 = 1/36
    1 red = 2/3 from one, 1/6 from the second or visa versa: 4/18 = 2/9.
    2 Red = 2/3 X 2/3 = 4/9.
    3 red, same as 1 red = 2/9.
    4 red same as 0 red = 1/36.

Thus checking our work we have a total of 1/36 + 2/9 +4/9 + 2/9 + 1/36 = 17/18. WHAT WENT WRONG?

Well, there is another way you can draw two red, that is none from the first urn and two from the second, or visa versa; giving 2/36 to add to the case of 2 reds.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2004
  4. Aug 15, 2004 #3
    I knew it! 2/9 was the correct answer. And those were the same answers I got from solving that problem. But for some odd reason, the appendix of the book gave these answers:

Red = 1/6 from urn one, 1/6 from urn 2 = 1/36
    1 red = 2/3 from one, 1/6 from the second or visa versa: 4/18 = 2/90.
    2 Red = 2/3 X 2/3 = 1/20.
    3 red, same as 1 red = 2/90.
    4 red same as 0 red = 1/36.

As you can see, the book added an extra zero to those probabilities that from 1 red to 3 red. I cant believe it. The book made a typo error ^_^;;

thanx for the clarification on the cases btw ^_^

Last edited: Aug 16, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?