The probability that two elements commute

In summary, the probability that two elements of $G$ commute is $\frac{m}{|G|}$, where $m$ is the number of conjugacy classes of $G$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $G$ be a finite group.

I want to show that the probability that two elements of $G$ commute is $\frac{m}{|G|}$, where $m$ is the number of conjugacy classes of $G$.

A conjugacy class is $O_x=\{g*x\mid g\in G\}=\{g^{-1}xg\mid g\in G\}$, right? (Wondering)

Do we maybe take $x$ to be an element of $C_G$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari,

Let $G$ act on itself by conjugation. Two elements of $G$ are taken at random and we have to find the probability that they commute. So our sample space is $G\times G$ and the number of possible outcomes is

$$\lvert\{(g,h)\in G\times G : g * h = h\}\rvert$$

So if $A$ denotes the event that two elements of $G$ commute, then the probability of $A$ is

$$P(A) = \dfrac{\lvert\{(g,h)\in G\times G : g * h = h\}\rvert}{|G\times G|}$$

Now $|G\times G| = |G|^2$, so to show that $P(A) = \frac{m}{|G|}$, we need to prove that the numerator expression equals $m\,|G|$. We have

$$\lvert\{(g,h)\in G\times G : g * h = h\}\rvert = \sum_{(g,h)\in G\times G} \chi(g,h)$$

where $\chi(g,h) = 1$ if $g * h = h$ and $0$ otherwise. Now

$$\sum_{(g,h)\in G\times G} \chi(g,h) = \sum_{g\in G}\sum_{h\in G} \chi(g,h) = \sum_{g\in G} \lvert\{h\in G : g * h = h\}\rvert = \sum_{g\in G} \lvert C_G(g)\rvert$$

where $C_G(g)$ denotes the centralizer of $g$ in $G$. Since $G$ acts on itself by conjugation, the orbits are the conjugacy classes of $G$ and the stabilizers are the centralizers. Using Burnside's formula, we deduce

$$\sum_{g\in G} \lvert C_G(g)\rvert = m\,\lvert G\rvert$$

Why is the set of elements that commute $\{(g,h)\in G\times G : g * h = h\}$ and not $\{(g,h)\in G\times G : g * h = h * g\}$ ? (Wondering)

Didn't you use $g * x = g^{-1}xg$? I was just using the same $*$ notation that you used for conjugation. So $g * h = h$ is equivalent to $gh = hg$.

Euge said:
Didn't you use $g * x = g^{-1}xg$? I was just using the same $*$ notation that you used for conjugation. So $g * h = h$ is equivalent to $gh = hg$.

Ah ok... I see...
Euge said:
Let $G$ act on itself by conjugation.

Why do we suppose that? (Wondering)
Euge said:
$$\sum_{(g,h)\in G\times G} \chi(g,h) = \sum_{g\in G}\sum_{h\in G} \chi(g,h) = \sum_{g\in G} \lvert\{h\in G : g * h = h\}\rvert = \sum_{g\in G} \lvert C_G(g)\rvert$$

Why does the first equality stand? (Wondering)
Euge said:
Since $G$ acts on itself by conjugation, the orbits are the conjugacy classes of $G$ and the stabilizers are the centralizers.

Why does this hold? (Wondering)

I could have left out the statement "Let $G$ act on itself by conjugation" but I wanted to make clear that the action $g * x$ is the same as the action you used in your thread. The equation

$$\sum_{(g,h)\in G\times G} \chi(g,h) = \sum_{g\in G}\sum_{h\in G} \chi(g,h)$$

holds, because as the ordered pair $(g,h)$ ranges over $G\times G$, $g$ ranges over $G$ and $h$ ranges over $G$. As for you last question, the orbit of an element $x\in G$ is $\{g*x:g\in G\} = \{g^{-1}xg: g\in G\}$, which is the conjugacy class of $x$. The stabilizer of $x$ is $G_x = \{h \in G : h * x = x\} = \{h\in G : h^{-1}xh = x\} = \{h\in G : xh = hx\} = C_G(x)$, the centralizer of $x$ in $G$.

Euge said:
I could have left out the statement "Let $G$ act on itself by conjugation" but I wanted to make clear that the action $g * x$ is the same as the action you used in your thread.

Is the action $g*x$ only defined when $G$ acts on itself by conjugation? (Wondering)

Could we find the desired probability also if we supposed that $G$ acts on a set $\Omega$ ? (Wondering)
Euge said:
The stabilizer of $x$ is $G_x = \{h \in G : h * x = x\} = \{h\in G : h^{-1}xh = x\} = \{h\in G : xh = hx\} = C_G(x)$, the centralizer of $x$ in $G$.

This holds only in the case when $G$ acts on itself by conjugation, or not? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Is the action $g*x$ only defined when $G$ acts on itself by conjugation? (Wondering)

Well, every group acts on itself by conjugation, since for every group $G$, the map $f : G \to \operatorname{Aut}(G)$ sending $g$ to $i_g$ is a homomorphism ($i_g: x\mapsto gxg^{-1}$). Hopefully this answers your third question as well.

Could we find the desired probability also if we supposed that $G$ acts on a set $\Omega$ ? (Wondering)
I don't see how picking an arbitrary $\Omega$ to act on will help in finding the desired probability.

To be more accurate, the action $g * x$ you had defined is a right action, but the more conventional left action would be $g \cdot x = gxg^{-1}$.

1. What does it mean for two elements to commute?

When two elements, A and B, from a set with a defined operation (such as addition or multiplication) commute, it means that their order does not affect the result of the operation. In other words, A*B = B*A.

2. What is the probability that two elements commute?

The probability that two elements commute depends on the operation and the set they belong to. In some cases, such as with real numbers and addition/multiplication, the probability is 100%. However, in other cases, such as with matrices and matrix multiplication, the probability may be lower.

3. How can the commutativity of two elements be determined?

To determine if two elements commute, the operation must be applied to the elements in both orders. If the results are the same, then the elements commute. For example, if A*B = B*A, then A and B commute.

4. What is the significance of two elements commuting?

The commutativity of two elements is significant in mathematics as it allows for simplification and easier manipulation of equations. It is also important in some fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, where the commutativity of operators can determine the observability of certain physical quantities.

5. Can two elements commute in one operation but not in another?

Yes, it is possible for two elements to commute in one operation but not in another. For example, in the set of real numbers, addition and multiplication are commutative operations. However, in the set of 2x2 matrices, matrix addition is commutative, but matrix multiplication is not.