The product of exponential and a uniform random variables

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
MathBubble
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I'm trying to show that U(X+Y) = X in distribution, where X and Y are independent exp(λ) distributed and U is uniformly distributed on (0,1) independent of X+Y.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


X+Y is gamma(2,λ) distributed. But I can't figure out how to deal with this product.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
MathBubble said:

Homework Statement



I'm trying to show that U(X+Y) = X in distribution, where X and Y are independent exp(λ) distributed and U is uniformly distributed on (0,1) independent of X+Y.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


X+Y is gamma(2,λ) distributed. But I can't figure out how to deal with this product.

Get the distribution of [itex]Z = U(X+Y)[/itex] by computing its Laplace transform
[tex]\tilde{Z}(s) \equiv Ee^{-sZ}.[/tex]
Hint: condition on U.

RGV