The production of LEDs using PLD

• Thread starter RayRoc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leds
In summary, Ray is curious about the production process of LEDs, specifically the method of growing the crystal. He has some questions about the refraction of SiC and the use of materials to interface the diode. He also wants to show some of his own work and research before giving hints to the questions.
RayRoc
I am curios about the production process of LEDs, particularly using the method of growing the crystal using CVD.

I am not exactly sure where the best place is to start but here goes my first question. The refraction of SiC is as such that the light gets largely reflected back into the diode. What material is usually used to interface with the diode to reduce these characteristics?

and...

Can materials like borosilicate glass be used to optically interface the diode and be deposited via PLD?

Can a good LED be grown using PLD by using a mask rather then dicing?

Engineering news on Phys.org
RayRoc said:
I am curios about the production process of LEDs, particularly using the method of growing the crystal using CVD.

I am not exactly sure where the best place is to start but here goes my first question. The refraction of SiC is as such that the light gets largely reflected back into the diode. What material is usually used to interface with the diode to reduce these characteristics?

and...

Can materials like borosilicate glass be used to optically interface the diode and be deposited via PLD?

Can a good LED be grown using PLD by using a mask rather then dicing?

Hi Ray, I would normally move this to the Homework Help forums, but I believe that this is for self-study on your part, and it is a fairly involved subject, so I'll leave it here in EE for now.

But I do want you to show some of your own work and research into these questions, before we give you hints to the questions. So, can you please tell us more about what you have learned so far in this subject area? Where did you get the questions that you copied above? Have you found some good info pages about these subjects in any wikis or via google?

Thank you for your curiosity about the production process of LEDs using PLD (pulsed laser deposition). This method involves depositing thin films of material onto a substrate using a pulsed laser. This process is commonly used for growing crystals of materials, including those used in LED production.

To answer your first question, the material typically used to interface with the diode and reduce light reflection is a transparent conductive oxide (TCO) layer, such as indium tin oxide (ITO). This layer allows for efficient light extraction from the LED.

In terms of using borosilicate glass as an optical interface, it is possible to deposit this material using PLD. However, it may not be the most suitable material for this purpose as it has a lower refractive index compared to other TCOs, which may result in lower light extraction efficiency.

As for your question about using a mask rather than dicing to create a good LED using PLD, it is possible to use a mask to pattern the deposition of the LED layers. However, dicing is typically still required to separate the individual LED devices. The use of a mask can help with creating uniform and precise LED structures, but dicing is necessary to physically separate the devices.

I hope this helps to answer your questions and provides some insight into the production process of LEDs using PLD. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to The production of LEDs using PLD

1. What is PLD and how does it work?

PLD stands for Pulsed Laser Deposition, and it is a technique used to deposit thin films of material onto a substrate. A pulsed laser is used to ablate a target material, and the resulting plume of atoms and molecules is deposited onto the substrate, forming a thin film.

2. What materials are used in the production of LEDs using PLD?

The materials used in PLD for LED production depend on the type of LED being produced. Generally, a thin film of a semiconductor material, such as gallium nitride, is deposited onto a substrate. The substrate may also be coated with other materials, such as a transparent conducting oxide, to improve the performance of the LED.

3. What are the advantages of using PLD for LED production?

PLD offers several advantages for LED production, including precise control over the thin film deposition process, the ability to deposit a wide range of materials, and the potential for high-quality, defect-free films. PLD also allows for the deposition of complex multilayer structures, which can improve the performance of LEDs.

4. What are some challenges in using PLD for LED production?

One of the main challenges in using PLD for LED production is maintaining a uniform film thickness over a large area. The pulsed laser can also cause damage to the substrate and target material, which can affect the quality of the thin film. Additionally, the cost of equipment and materials for PLD can be a barrier for smaller companies or research groups.

5. How does PLD compare to other methods of LED production?

PLD has certain advantages over other methods, such as molecular beam epitaxy and metal-organic chemical vapor deposition, in terms of control over film thickness and the ability to deposit a wider range of materials. However, PLD may have lower throughput and require more specialized equipment. The choice of production method ultimately depends on the specific needs and goals of the LED manufacturer.