The Quark Thread: Answers to Questions

In summary, quarks have not been "seen" in the same way that lions have been seen. They have been seen by sending photons into a proton and looking at how they bounce off the quarks inside. The color force and strong force increase in strength at a distance, but this is because the force carriers (the gluons) are charged themselves. The restoring force of a spring seems counterintuitive, but it does increase with
Mk
The "Quark" thread

The "Quark" thread seemed to have been indiscriminately locked (I appreciate a last post to say why). I still have question about quarks. From what marlon and arivero said, it sounds like quarks have not been "seen." Is this so?

Why does the color force and strong force increase in strength at a distance? This seems to be the opposite of common sense, but its quantum physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
The "Quark" thread seemed to have been indiscriminately locked (I appreciate a last post to say why). I still have question about quarks. From what marlon and arivero said, it sounds like quarks have not been "seen." Is this so?

QUOTE]
That depends on what is meant by "seen". You have seen lions by shining light into their cage and looking at how it bounces off the lion. I have never touched a lion, although my friend Lefty did.
In the same way, quarks have been seen by sending photons into a proton and looking at how they bounce off the quarks inside. Not even Lefty has touched a quark though.

Mk said:
Why does the color force and strong force increase in strength at a distance? This seems to be the opposite of common sense, but its quantum physics.
Almost the earliest force you played with as a child increased with strength at a distance. (Think rubber band.)

Mk said:

Well, they do not increase, they just do not decrease.

For a constante force the energy increases, because it is force times lenght.

the difference between electricity and colour is that force carriers (the gluons) are charged themselves, while photons are neutral.

Mk said:
[being a little glib]Does the restoring force of a spring seem counterintuitive too ?

Well, I could be wrong here, but I thought I heard somewhere that it DOES increase with distance due to interaction with the virtual particles in vacuum space(not talking about rubber bands or springs here, of course!)

To be honest, QCD as a problem of eigenstates is not solved yet. So people uses models (or approximations) where the potential increases or models where the force increases, but just the former (the increasing of potential) is enough to get models of confinement.

pallidin said:
Well, I could be wrong here, but I thought I heard somewhere that it DOES increase with distance due to interaction with the virtual particles in vacuum space(not talking about rubber bands or springs here, of course!)
I think this is a minor confusion of language between you and arrivero.
The belief is that long distance q-q force is constant.
This corresponds to a linear increase in the potential energy.
The force is confining, like a spring or rubber band, but does not have a quadratic potential like them.

We know that a level Teaspoon of Neutrons weighs a billion tons but what does a level Teaspoon of Top Quarks weigh?

Intuitive said:
We know that a level Teaspoon of Neutrons
I didn't know. For instance a teaspoon of sugar gets one half of its weight from neutrons.

The top quark is about 200 times heavier than a neutron.
But, while the neutron has a radius of about .8 fm, the top quark could be a point particle so it depends on what you consider a teaspoon of tops.
Anyway, "teaspoon" is not an SI unit, and is not allowed in textbooks.

how are quarks formed and why do they decay?

superweirdo said:
how are quarks formed and why do they decay?

http://particleadventure.org/particleadventure/frameless/quarks.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the Quark Thread and why is it important?

The Quark Thread is a theoretical concept in particle physics that explains the fundamental building blocks of matter. It is important because it helps us understand the structure of the universe and how everything is connected.

2. How did the concept of the Quark Thread come about?

The Quark Thread was first proposed by physicists Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig in the 1960s. They observed patterns in the behavior of subatomic particles and hypothesized that they were made up of smaller particles called quarks.

3. How many types of quarks are there in the Quark Thread?

There are six known types of quarks in the Quark Thread: up, down, charm, strange, top, and bottom. Each type has a different mass and charge, and they combine to form all known particles in the universe.

4. What is the evidence for the existence of the Quark Thread?

The existence of the Quark Thread has been supported by numerous experiments, including particle accelerators and high-energy collisions. The behavior of particles and their interactions can only be explained by the presence of quarks.

5. Can quarks be observed or isolated?

Quarks cannot be observed or isolated on their own due to a phenomenon called confinement. They are always found in groups, or bound together by the strong nuclear force, and cannot exist independently in nature.