The range of Klein-Nishina formula

In summary: It is not possible to measure the recoil angle and the momentum/energy of the electron because they are theoretical values.
bobie
Gold Member
I found a nice applet: http://www.kcvs.ca/site/projects/physics.html
to study that formula, but it has a limited range.
Do you know of a better app or of a site where I can get results of real experiments?,
can someone tell me:

- does it work at all frequencies, or does it break down somewhere?
- is there a threshold over which the photon cannot be scattered at 180°?
- as the electron is inside a metal, can its recoil angle and speed really be observed and measured, or is it derived from the formula?
- if the energy is low , around 5.11 eV (1.2*1015 hv) what is roughly the speed of the electron ? I mean: does it get energy only from the photon (in the range of 0.0001 eV)?

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Klein-Nishina is the formula for interaction between photons and free electrons. Its application is mainly for gamma rays where the electron binding energy can be ignored. At lower energies (X-rays etc.) other effects predominate.

mathman said:
Klein-Nishina is the formula for interaction between photons and free electrons. Its application is mainly for gamma rays where the electron binding energy can be ignored. At lower energies (X-rays etc.) other effects predominate.
Thanks, mathman,
so it has a limited range of validity. Has the angle of recoil and speed of the free electron ever been verified?, what is the accuracy of the theoretical formula?
What happens if the energy of the gamma ray is thousand times the rest mass: the photon should
continue in its direction pushing the electron like a cannonball a pingpong ball, but the photon is always faster, then should be reflected. Can an electron act like a wall to a photon , say, 10^30 hv?

mathman said:

thanks, mathman, your link is very useful, though somewhat difficult for me:I'll try to digest it, but at a first examination it seems that there is nochance of measuring the recoil angle and the momentum/energy of the electron. Is that correct?

The Klein-Nishina formula gives the probability distribution of the outgoing photon angle with respect to the incoming direction.

Related to The range of Klein-Nishina formula

1. What is the Klein-Nishina formula?

The Klein-Nishina formula is a mathematical equation that describes the probability of a photon scattering off of an electron, taking into account the quantum mechanical properties of both the photon and the electron.

2. How is the Klein-Nishina formula derived?

The Klein-Nishina formula is derived from the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic particles such as electrons. It takes into account the energy and momentum of both the incident photon and the scattered photon, as well as the spin of the electron.

3. What is the significance of the Klein-Nishina formula?

The Klein-Nishina formula is significant because it is the first equation to accurately describe the scattering of photons by electrons, taking into account the effects of quantum mechanics. It is used in many areas of physics, including astrophysics, nuclear physics, and particle physics.

4. What are the limitations of the Klein-Nishina formula?

The Klein-Nishina formula is only accurate for low-energy photons and non-relativistic electrons. It also does not take into account the effects of multiple scattering events, which can occur in some situations.

5. How is the Klein-Nishina formula used in practical applications?

The Klein-Nishina formula is used in many practical applications, such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and the study of X-ray diffraction. It is also used in the design of instruments and detectors for measuring and detecting photons.