The restricted canonical transformation group

In summary, the restricted canonical transformation group is a subgroup of the canonical transformation group that describes the transformation of variables in phase space while preserving the Hamiltonian equations of motion. It is different from the larger group in that it only includes transformations that preserve the Hamiltonian. This group has various applications in classical and quantum mechanics and possesses key properties such as closure, invertibility, and differentiability. It is closely related to symplectic geometry and can be described in terms of symplectic transformations.
shinobi20

Homework Statement

Show that the set of restricted canonical transformation forms a group. Verify this statement once using the invariance of Hamilton's principle under canonical transformation, and again using the symplectic condition.

Homework Equations

(Invariance of Hamilton's principle under canonical transformation)
##p_i\dot q_i - H = P_i\dot Q_i - K + \frac{dF}{dt}~~~~~##

(Symplectic Condition)
##MJM^T = J## for some symplectic matrix ##M## and ##J## is such that the Hamilton's equations in symplectic notation can be written as ##\dot η = J \frac{∂H}{∂η}##

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part, suppose ##~~p_2(p_1, q_1), q_2(p_1, q_1)~## and ##~p_3(p_2, q_2), q_3(p_2, q_2)## are canonical transformations, then

##p_1\dot q_1 - H_1 = p_2\dot q_2 - K_1 + \frac{dF_1}{dt}~~## and ##~~p_2\dot q_2 - H_2 = p_3\dot q_3 - K_2 + \frac{dF_2}{dt}~~~##

By substituting ##p_2\dot q_2## from the right eq to the left, we have
##p_1\dot q_1 - H_1 = H_2 + p_3\dot q_3 - K_1 - K_2 + \frac{dF_1 + dF_2}{dt}~~##
##p_1\dot q_1 - (H_1 + H_2) = p_3\dot q_3 - (K_1 + K_2) + \frac{dF_1 + dF_2}{dt}~~##

Thus, ##p_3(p_1, q_1), q_3(p_1, q_1)## is a canonical transformation therefore belongs to the group.

For the second part, given the coordinate transformations ##\dot ξ = M_1 \dot η~## and ##\dot χ = M_2 \dot ξ~## →##~\dot χ = M_2M_1 \dot η##

##(M_2M_1)J(M_2M_1)^T = M_2M_1JM_1^TM_2^T = M_2JM_2^T = J##

Thus, it satisfies the symplectic condition.

Can anybody help me check if what I've done is correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you.

Your solution looks correct to me. You have shown that the set of restricted canonical transformations forms a group by satisfying both the invariance of Hamilton's principle and the symplectic condition. Your steps and reasoning are clear and thorough. Great job!

1. What is the restricted canonical transformation group?

The restricted canonical transformation group is a mathematical concept used in classical mechanics to describe the transformation of a set of variables in phase space while preserving the Hamiltonian equations of motion. It is a subgroup of the larger canonical transformation group, which includes transformations that do not necessarily preserve the Hamiltonian.

2. How is the restricted canonical transformation group different from the canonical transformation group?

The restricted canonical transformation group only includes transformations that preserve the Hamiltonian, while the canonical transformation group includes all possible transformations of variables in phase space. This means that the restricted group is a subset of the larger canonical transformation group.

3. What are the applications of the restricted canonical transformation group?

The restricted canonical transformation group is primarily used in classical mechanics to study the behavior of physical systems. It can also be applied in the field of quantum mechanics to study the evolution of wave functions.

4. What are the key properties of the restricted canonical transformation group?

The restricted canonical transformation group has several important properties, including closure (the composition of two transformations is also a transformation), invertibility (each transformation has an inverse), and differentiability (the transformations can be described by continuous functions).

5. How is the restricted canonical transformation group related to symplectic geometry?

The restricted canonical transformation group is closely related to symplectic geometry, which is the study of geometric structures on differentiable manifolds. In particular, the restricted group can be described in terms of symplectic transformations, which preserve the symplectic form on the phase space.