1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The Right Hand Rule: it's not just for electrodynamics anymore.

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    Among its many other uses, it looks like you can use the right hand rule for screwing in a light bulb or screwing on the cap to a jug of milk!

Who said learning physics was of no practical use?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Also useful in bed - especially if you have company :D

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So those of us who are left handed go unloved?

5. Nov 30, 2012 #4
    No way, we have it even better. I'm left handed, so if I'm taking an EM exam, I can do the right hand rule and write with my left hand at the same time! I never have to put down my pencil :cool:

6. Nov 30, 2012 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Due to coriolis effects, the left-hand screw rule works better in the southern hemisphere ;)
    In the northern hemisphere, lefties are advised to adopt Flemings rule instead ... the thumb still gives thrust of motion but they gain in the extent of the field and current.

7. Nov 30, 2012 #6
    Not anymore. These days they have adapters for that. A little exotic maybe, but these new neuroprosthetics are quite something to wield.

:)

8. Nov 30, 2012 #7
    Well it has to do with the cross product right? And the unit vectors. So that extends to all manners of torque applications.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook