Understanding the Scale of Things in Our Body

• Thread starter WarrickF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scale
In summary, the conversation discussed the scale of things in the human body, specifically focusing on DNA, cells, and their composition. It was mentioned that DNA chains are made up of sugars, nucleobases, and phosphate, and are arranged in a double helix. It was clarified that DNA is not a series of double helices, but one continuous helix. The composition of the double helix was also briefly discussed, with the clarification that it is not made up solely of carbon atoms. The complexity of cells and their chemical composition were also mentioned, with a reference to the discipline of biochemistry.
WarrickF
Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a basic understanding of the scale of things in our body.

I love this little animation that Brian Greene has out there
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/scale.html

I know very little about biology, so you’ll need to humor me if these are stupid questions.

1. What is a DNA chain made up of? A series of double Helix’s?
2. Are these double Helixes then simply made up of carbon atoms?
3. What is a cell then made of?

Thanks
Warrick

Biology news on Phys.org
Hmmmm.. I always wondered what was in an apple at resolution of [tex]10^{-35}[/tex] m :rolleyes:

A DNA chain is made up of sugars (deoxyribose), nucleobases
(purines & pyrimidines) and http://www.biology.lsu.edu/introbio/Link2/phosphate.gif , bound together in a double helical arrangement.
Not a series of double helices but one continuous double helix.

As you will see from the links, the double helix is not made simply of carbon atoms. Though by chemistry short-hand, when you see a ring shaped molucule such as deoxyribose or adenine, the vertices of the ring that are not labelled, are implied to have a carbon atom at those points. Here is a clearer diagram to what I am referring.

A cell is quite complex, it has macroscopic structure. Underlying that, is its chemical composition and interaction.
The chemistry of a cell is part of a unique discipline, biochemistry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Warrick,

I'm happy to help you gain a better understanding of the scale of things in our body. Biology can be a complex subject, so no question is ever stupid. Let's break down your questions and try to answer them in a simple way.

1. A DNA chain is made up of nucleotides, which are the building blocks of DNA. Each nucleotide consists of a sugar molecule, a phosphate group, and a nitrogenous base. The nitrogenous bases are adenine (A), guanine (G), cytosine (C), and thymine (T). These nucleotides are linked together to form a long double helix structure.

2. Yes, the double helix structure of DNA is made up of carbon atoms, along with hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and phosphorus atoms.

3. A cell is the basic unit of life. It is the smallest structural and functional unit of an organism. Cells are made up of various molecules, such as proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates. These molecules are made up of atoms, including carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, and others. The cell also contains organelles, which are specialized structures that perform specific functions within the cell.

I hope this helps answer your questions. Keep asking questions and exploring the amazing world of biology!

What is the scale of things in our body?

The scale of things in our body refers to the size and proportion of different structures and components within our body. This can range from microscopic cells to larger organs and systems.

Why is it important to understand the scale of things in our body?

Understanding the scale of things in our body is important because it allows us to have a better understanding of how our body functions and the relationships between different structures. It also helps us to appreciate the complexity and intricacy of our body.

What are some examples of structures in our body on different scales?

Some examples of structures in our body on different scales include cells, tissues, organs, organ systems, and the entire body. Cells are the smallest unit of life, while the entire body is the largest and most complex structure.

How does the scale of things in our body relate to our health?

The scale of things in our body is closely related to our health because a disruption in the balance or functioning of any structure, no matter how small, can impact our overall well-being. For example, a malfunctioning cell can lead to a disease, and an unhealthy organ can affect the performance of the entire body.

How can we visualize and understand the scale of things in our body?

There are various ways to visualize and understand the scale of things in our body, such as using microscopes to observe cells and tissues, anatomical models to study organs and systems, and medical imaging techniques to see the body as a whole. Learning about the scale of things in our body through education and scientific research can also help us gain a better understanding.