Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The scale of things

1. Jun 21, 2005 #1
    Hi All,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a basic understanding of the scale of things in our body.

I love this little animation that Brian Greene has out there
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/scale.html

I know very little about biology, so you’ll need to humor me if these are stupid questions.

1. What is a DNA chain made up of? A series of double Helix’s?
    2. Are these double Helixes then simply made up of carbon atoms?
    3. What is a cell then made of?

Thanks
    Warrick

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2005 #2

Ouabache

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hmmmm.. I always wondered what was in an apple at resolution of [tex]10^{-35}[/tex] m :rolleyes:

A DNA chain is made up of sugars (deoxyribose), nucleobases
    (purines & pyrimidines) and phosphate, bound together in a double helical arrangement.
    Not a series of double helices but one continuous double helix.

As you will see from the links, the double helix is not made simply of carbon atoms. Though by chemistry short-hand, when you see a ring shaped molucule such as deoxyribose or adenine, the vertices of the ring that are not labelled, are implied to have a carbon atom at those points. Here is a clearer diagram to what I am referring.

A cell is quite complex, it has macroscopic structure. Underlying that, is its chemical composition and interaction.
    The chemistry of a cell is part of a unique discipline, biochemistry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?