The science behind the so called Philadelphia Experiment ?

In summary, the conversation revolved around the science behind the so-called "Philadelphia Experiment", which was a conspiracy theory that claimed a US Navy destroyer was teleported in the 1940s. The original post requested experts to weigh in on whether a "unified field theory" could provide the information to teleport a ship. The conversation also touched on potential government coverups of major scientific breakthroughs. However, due to the banned nature of conspiracy theories and discussions of unknown science, the thread was ultimately closed by a moderator.
fellupahill
The science behind the so called "Philadelphia Experiment"?

I have done some digging on the Philadelphia Experiment after watching the actor from Fringe stuble along trying to do a sci-fi science show called "Dark Matters". It was disgusting even to an intelligent, but mostly layperson. Anyway post research yielded much more accurate information and I am not interested in discussion the various aspects of the theory at all. What I am interested in is the physics. Would a "unified field theory" even provide the information to somehow Teleport an entire ship in the 1940's? I think not, but what do I know? Id like the experts to weigh in if they don't mind :)

Please avoid discussing the conspiracy theory itself as to stay in accordance with the rules. Funnel discussion twords facts please, or if their has been previous discussion then a link would be helpful.

Also, because I am interested, is their any times in recent history were the U.S government has withheld a major breakthrough in science from the public, and then been caught? Only interested in instances that can be proven, if there is any.( I will quote an PM from a Mentor just so there isn't any issues with keeping this thread open.:tongue2: "A conversation about previous government coverups could be ok so long as it was careful to avoid any suggestion of current conspiracy theory."

edit:
The character of fringe who I mentioned was Walter, if your familiar with it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Philadelphia Experiment is a banned topic.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2269439&postcount=2

Conspiracy theories are banned.

Extrapolations of unknown science are banned.

Thread closed for obvious reasons by berkeman

What is the Philadelphia Experiment?

The Philadelphia Experiment is a popular conspiracy theory that claims the US Navy conducted a secret experiment in the 1940s that made the USS Eldridge invisible and teleport from Philadelphia to Norfolk, Virginia.

Is there any evidence to support the Philadelphia Experiment?

There is no reliable evidence to support the claims of the Philadelphia Experiment. The original story was based on a single witness account that has been discredited by the US Navy and other researchers.

What was the purpose of the supposed experiment?

According to the conspiracy theory, the US Navy was attempting to make their ships invisible to enemy radar. However, there is no record of any such experiment or technology being used during World War II.

Why do some people believe in the Philadelphia Experiment?

The story of the Philadelphia Experiment gained popularity through books, movies, and internet forums. Additionally, some people may be drawn to conspiracy theories as a way to make sense of unexplained events or to add excitement to history.

What do scientists say about the possibility of invisibility and teleportation?

While there have been advances in technology that allow for cloaking and teleportation on a very small scale, the idea of making an entire ship invisible and teleporting it across distances is not supported by current scientific understanding and technology.