Scorpions in the House: Winter is Here

• Thread starter Math Jeans
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the presence of scorpions in the house due to the return of winter. Various methods for getting rid of scorpions were discussed, including using laundry soap, picking them up by the tail, or using gloves and tweezers. Some shared their experiences with scorpions while camping, and one person even mentioned using a black light at night to find scorpions.
Math Jeans
Yes. Winter is back, and for some of us, that means scorpions in the house. Earlier tonight the season kicked off when I found this little guy in the dining room (I haven't checked the bathroom yet :eek:).

Scorp.jpg

The lighting was terrible, so I couldn't get a good picture.

Physics news on Phys.org
AAGGHHHHHHHHHHH run everyone run!

It's glowing!

I'll stick to ice.

I thought spiders in the house were bad! :eek:

Actually, we've had such a warm winter, I'm still getting flies in the house! This is driving me nuts, not because of the flies per se, but because the cat is driving me INSANE as she races around chattering at the ceiling, jumping on anything that can be jumped on (including me), trying to catch the flies that are all out of her reach on the ceiling!

How do you get rid of a scorpion/s?

Shotgun good, but is hard on floors. Laundry soap on the door sill is pretty effective.

mattmns said:

Beat them.

Last edited by a moderator:
mattmns said:
Pick them up by the tail, or glass over the top and slide cardboard underneath, or flick them with a broom or spatula.

Best to prevent them coming in. Chronos's idea is good, and could be expanded around the perimeter of the house. One could use borax and boric acid as well.

I would freak out if I ever found a scorpion in my house. Freak right out.

My family used to go camping in New Mexico and Arizona. Once we stayed at a place in Page, Az. We found several scorpions at our campsite, including one in the tent under a sleeping bag. They also like to go into sleeping bags, so before one goes to sleep, one has to open the bag to make sure there are no bed buddies. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Pick them up by the tail, or glass over the top and slide cardboard underneath, or flick them with a broom or spatula.

Good luck with that. The scorpions around here are small (the smaller the stronger the attack. No joke), so you can't get a grip on their tail without getting stung. Period.

I found three of them in my bathroom this morning. Including one that was on the cieling just above me when I was showering (those always freak me out).

Note for Turbo: Yes, this means that Phoenix ISN'T perfect.

scorpa said:
I would freak out if I ever found a scorpion in my house. Freak right out.

:rofl:

Math Jeans said:
Good luck with that. The scorpions around here are small (the smaller the stronger the attack. No joke), so you can't get a grip on their tail without getting stung. Period.
Well, one has to use proper protection, and certainly the little guys are the ones with which one has to be very careful.

Gloves and tweezers/pliers would be appropriate, but most will probably squash the invaders.

I usually remove spiders and other arachnids from the house.

We just use cup and paper. Or if we cannot get that quick enough, we use any surface we can to get them away from us without getting stung. Not always outside of the house :devil:. However, normally, if we leave the scorpion alone, they will just go back to their dark hiding place. Most of the scorpions never come out, so there are dead scorpions under various objects in the house. Don't you hate lifting something up only to be scared our of your wits?

Astronuc said:
My family used to go camping in New Mexico and Arizona. Once we stayed at a place in Page, Az. We found several scorpions at our campsite, including one in the tent under a sleeping bag. They also like to go into sleeping bags, so before one goes to sleep, one has to open the bag to make sure there are no bed buddies. :biggrin:

When in the scouts we once got into a camp site late and pitched our tents right on or near a scorpian nest. The next morning we all had cuddly little sleeping companions.

Math Jeans, nice pets! Do you give them names? :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Math Jeans, nice pets! Do you give them names? :biggrin:

Only the ones that sting us.

Math Jeans said:
Only the ones that sting us.

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm guessing that they get very special names?

Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm guessing that they get very special names?

Yes they do, and they get a special present with it *SMACK*. But seriously, if they sting you good, they will numb where they sting you plus a 3 foot radius around that area.

Can they be lethal?

btw, when I saw the title of this thread I assumed that some rock group was coming out of retirement. :biggrin:

Ivan Seeking said:
Can they be lethal?

btw, when I saw the title of this thread I assumed that some rock group was coming out of retirement. :biggrin:

Probably not the ones in my house unless you got stung enough. Just painful.

I just saw one crawl under the cabinates.

Last edited:
What I sometimes find fun to do around here is to go outside at night and shine a black light on walls behind bushes and cracks in the ground. Its amazing how many scorpions you find. So far I have not gotten stung doing this.

Math Jeans said:
We just use cup and paper. Or if we cannot get that quick enough, we use any surface we can to get them away from us without getting stung. Not always outside of the house :devil:. However, normally, if we leave the scorpion alone, they will just go back to their dark hiding place. Most of the scorpions never come out, so there are dead scorpions under various objects in the house. Don't you hate lifting something up only to be scared our of your wits?
Check periodically under your cushions and pillows of the sofa, couch and chair, and bed, and also under the sheets. Also the shoes! I've been surprised before.

Astronuc said:
Also the shoes! I've been surprised before.

Don't remind me. Last time that happened I put the shoe on before I knew anything was in there. I thought it was sand for a few seconds.

FWIW - scorpions fluoresce under UV. If you think you've got a problem buy one of those $10.00 UV fluorescent bulbs that come assembled with a ballast, ready to plug in.
Turn off the lights at night. Wander around after about 10 minutes. You'll see them very clearly. Try to wear shoes... it is less painful.

We have a Texas-sized wire mesh (screen) swatter that nukes them where they stand.
Or, um, make that "crawl".

In New Mexico scorpion season (not the Hockey Team) is in the Fall months. We had an inch of ice outside today, so the scorpion migration is over till next Fall. We still have flies from the neighbors stalls. And mice...

1. How do scorpions survive in the house during the winter?

Scorpions are able to survive in the house during the winter by finding warm and sheltered areas, such as cracks in walls or under furniture. They also have the ability to slow down their metabolism and enter a state of dormancy, known as diapause, which helps them conserve energy during colder months.

2. Are scorpions dangerous to have in the house during the winter?

While most scorpions found in houses are not venomous or dangerous to humans, it is always best to exercise caution and avoid contact with them. If you are unsure about the type of scorpion in your house, it is best to contact a pest control professional for assistance.

3. How do I prevent scorpions from entering my house during the winter?

To prevent scorpions from entering your house during the winter, it is important to seal any cracks or openings in your home's foundation or walls. You can also reduce clutter and debris around the outside of your house, as this can provide hiding places for scorpions.

4. What should I do if I find a scorpion in my house during the winter?

If you find a scorpion in your house during the winter, it is best to stay calm and avoid any direct contact with the scorpion. You can use a broom or other long-handled object to gently guide the scorpion out of your house. If you are unsure of how to safely remove the scorpion, contact a pest control professional for assistance.

5. Can scorpions survive in freezing temperatures during the winter?

While scorpions are able to enter a state of dormancy during colder months, they cannot survive in freezing temperatures for extended periods of time. If you live in an area with very cold winters, it is unlikely that scorpions will be able to survive outside during this time.