Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The scorpions are back!

1. Dec 11, 2007 #1
    Yes. Winter is back, and for some of us, that means scorpions in the house. Earlier tonight the season kicked off when I found this little guy in the dining room (I haven't checked the bathroom yet :eek:).

[​IMG]

The lighting was terrible, so I couldn't get a good picture.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2007 #2
    AAGGHHHHHHHHHHH run everyone run!

4. Dec 11, 2007 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's glowing!!! :surprised

I'll stick to ice.

5. Dec 11, 2007 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought spiders in the house were bad! :eek:

Actually, we've had such a warm winter, I'm still getting flies in the house! This is driving me nuts, not because of the flies per se, but because the cat is driving me INSANE as she races around chattering at the ceiling, jumping on anything that can be jumped on (including me), trying to catch the flies that are all out of her reach on the ceiling!

6. Dec 11, 2007 #5
    How do you get rid of a scorpion/s?

7. Dec 12, 2007 #6

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Shotgun good, but is hard on floors. Laundry soap on the door sill is pretty effective.

8. Dec 12, 2007 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Beat them.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  9. Dec 12, 2007 #8

Astronuc

Pick them up by the tail, or glass over the top and slide cardboard underneath, or flick them with a broom or spatula.

Best to prevent them coming in. Chronos's idea is good, and could be expanded around the perimeter of the house. One could use borax and boric acid as well.

10. Dec 12, 2007 #9
    I would freak out if I ever found a scorpion in my house. Freak right out.

11. Dec 12, 2007 #10

Astronuc

My family used to go camping in New Mexico and Arizona. Once we stayed at a place in Page, Az. We found several scorpions at our campsite, including one in the tent under a sleeping bag. They also like to go into sleeping bags, so before one goes to sleep, one has to open the bag to make sure there are no bed buddies. :biggrin:

12. Dec 12, 2007 #11
    Good luck with that. The scorpions around here are small (the smaller the stronger the attack. No joke), so you can't get a grip on their tail without getting stung. Period.

I found three of them in my bathroom this morning. Including one that was on the cieling just above me when I was showering (those always freak me out).

Note for Turbo: Yes, this means that Phoenix ISN'T perfect.

:rofl:

13. Dec 12, 2007 #12

Astronuc

Well, one has to use proper protection, and certainly the little guys are the ones with which one has to be very careful.

Gloves and tweezers/pliers would be appropriate, but most will probably squash the invaders.

I usually remove spiders and other arachnids from the house.

14. Dec 12, 2007 #13
    We just use cup and paper. Or if we cannot get that quick enough, we use any surface we can to get them away from us without getting stung. Not always outside of the house :devil:. However, normally, if we leave the scorpion alone, they will just go back to their dark hiding place. Most of the scorpions never come out, so there are dead scorpions under various objects in the house. Don't you hate lifting something up only to be scared our of your wits?

15. Dec 12, 2007 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When in the scouts we once got into a camp site late and pitched our tents right on or near a scorpian nest. The next morning we all had cuddly little sleeping companions.

Math Jeans, nice pets! Do you give them names? :biggrin:

16. Dec 12, 2007 #15
    Only the ones that sting us.

17. Dec 12, 2007 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I'm guessing that they get very special names?

18. Dec 12, 2007 #17
    Yes they do, and they get a special present with it *SMACK*. But seriously, if they sting you good, they will numb where they sting you plus a 3 foot radius around that area.

19. Dec 12, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can they be lethal?

btw, when I saw the title of this thread I assumed that some rock group was coming out of retirement. :biggrin:

20. Dec 12, 2007 #19
    Probably not the ones in my house unless you got stung enough. Just painful.

I just saw one crawl under the cabinates.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  21. Dec 12, 2007 #20
    What I sometimes find fun to do around here is to go outside at night and shine a black light on walls behind bushes and cracks in the ground. Its amazing how many scorpions you find. So far I have not gotten stung doing this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?