Can a single person truly survive without relying on anyone else?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, the single person survives by relying on their own abilities and skills. They don't have to worry about someone else taking care of them, since there is no one to do that for them. They may miss the companionship of a partner, but they find freedom and happiness in their single status.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
So how does the single person survive, there is no one to do your washing, make your meals, shop for you, pull the splinter out of your------, mop your brow when you have the dreaded flu, hells bells you have to do every thing for your self, according to modern society you should be dead, apart from that my latest chili and ginger cake turned out perfectly.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would suggest that you stop sitting on wooden benches with an exposed _____ :wink: .

There is no one to put dirty laundry into your basket, to drink your beer, to finish the precious last piece of pizza and nobody touches papers arranged in a neat pile on your desk. Nothing better can ever happen to you!

Borek said:
There is no one to put dirty laundry into your basket, to drink your beer, to finish the precious last piece of pizza and nobody touches papers arranged in a neat pile on your desk. Nothing better can ever happen to you!

:rofl:
Nobody to nag, to set your time the way you don't like, to tell you doing things when you don't feel like it...
Oh the list goes on...

"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl "Will you marry me?" The girl said: "NO!"

And the girl lived happily ever after and went shopping, dancing, drank martinis, ate chocolate, always had a clean house, never had to cook, did whatever the hell she wanted, never argued, didn't have to worry about her weight, traveled more, had many lovers, didn't save money, and had all the hot water to herself. She went to the theatre, never watched sports, never wore friggin' lacy lingerie that went up her ***, had high self esteem, never cried or yelled, felt and looked fabulous in sweat pants and was pleasant all the time."

The End. :approve:

Singledom is freedom.

being single sucks. and I think it was pretty rude to start this thread the day after I break up with my girlfriend. no, rude is the wrong word. Cruel, that's the word I'm looking for. I hope i spelled everything correctly. I can't quite see through these tears to check.

You could try getting a dog.

My dog solves all of life's problems the same way. She brings me her squeaky toy to throw and then she'll bring it back - after making it squeak a few times along the way, of course. I'm surprised that solution works for so many problems.

Enjoying married life is probably in our genes handed down from generation to generation. If you don't like married life, likely your ancestors weren't married.

Last edited:
Borek said:

Lisa! said:
:rofl:
Nobody to nag, to set your time the way you don't like, to tell you doing things when you don't feel like it...
Oh the list goes on...

Agreed. And nobody to see your mess when you can't get around to cleaning everything. :biggrin:

About the only thing on the list that seems bad at first is not having someone to help take care of you when you have an illness like flu. But, then I thought about what married people have told me when they are home sick and I assumed their spouse would take care of them...nope...their spouse would stay as far away as possible hoping to avoid catching the dreaded bug!

Moonbear said:
But, then I thought about what married people have told me when they are home sick and I assumed their spouse would take care of them...nope...their spouse would stay as far away as possible hoping to avoid catching the dreaded bug!

From what we know of the biological reasons we choose a mate that hopefully should not be likely if we've chosen well. I wonder if social pressures for women to shave certain parts contribute to the large incompatibility between many couples these days as indicated by the ever increasing divorce rates.

\tangent

Kurdt said:
From what we know of the biological reasons we choose a mate that hopefully should not be likely if we've chosen well. I wonder if social pressures for women to shave certain parts contribute to the large incompatibility between many couples these days as indicated by the ever increasing divorce rates.

\tangent

ow, my neck. I must have twisted it during that double take. Ow, my forehead. I shouldn't have hit it so hard trying to clear it after reading your post. Ow, my throat. I shouldn't have screamed WHAT?

I was of course referring to armpits and pheromones. :smile:

Oh, I thought you were referring to landing strips and bikini wax.

Kurdt said:
I wonder if social pressures for women to shave certain parts contribute to the large incompatibility between many couples these days as indicated by the ever increasing divorce rates.
Nah, I don't even shave it myself.

Math Is Hard said:
"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl "Will you marry me?" The girl said: "NO!"

And the girl lived happily ever after and went shopping, dancing, drank martinis, ate chocolate, always had a clean house, never had to cook, did whatever the hell she wanted, never argued, didn't have to worry about her weight, traveled more, had many lovers, didn't save money, and had all the hot water to herself. She went to the theatre, never watched sports, never wore friggin' lacy lingerie that went up her ***, had high self esteem, never cried or yelled, felt and looked fabulous in sweat pants and was pleasant all the time."

The End. :approve:
AMEN to that! :approve:

Been single, been married. Always ate well, never had dirty laundry piled up or lived in a pig-pen. I'm happily married to my wife, but if she died I probably wouldn't be looking for another wife. Single ain't so bad, and I'd have to get awfully lucky the second time around (and I'm not that lucky).

Being single sucks, although it can be a blessing. It all depends on who your with I guess. I can honestly say that I have never been that happy when I wasn't single but I have friends that think they are better off with their woman. The trick is to find a girl that isn't a lying ***** or a filthy *****. However, that does rule out 99.99% of the population.

One night stands, here I come...

Single is awfully darn good, I'll give it that. There are loads of advantages my attached friends envy. The only truly big downside I've found in the past almost four years happened the week before last when I got ill with a nasty virus that decided I ought not be able to stand very well. I sat for a full fifteen minutes on the floor in my hallway and cried, feeling a combination of frightened and sorry for myself for not having anyone there to help me. And then I recalled I have friends and that asking for help isn't such an awful thing. And it all worked out perfectly.

So, yes, I make all of my own decisions and don't ever have to pick up behind someone else. It's decent.

Well, I was married and had a serious bout of flu New Year's eve and my husband went to a party and left me all alone and the power went out.

GeorginaS said:
Single is awfully darn good, I'll give it that. There are loads of advantages my attached friends envy. The only truly big downside I've found in the past almost four years happened the week before last when I got ill with a nasty virus that decided I ought not be able to stand very well. I sat for a full fifteen minutes on the floor in my hallway and cried, feeling a combination of frightened and sorry for myself for not having anyone there to help me. And then I recalled I have friends and that asking for help isn't such an awful thing. And it all worked out perfectly.

So, yes, I make all of my own decisions and don't ever have to pick up behind someone else. It's decent.

Oh dear! That sounds like a nasty bug! Sorry you were feeling so sick, and glad you're all better now.

Wow! I've started to post a number of other comments, but I just keep coming back to WOW! We've been married for over twenty years, and though I will be the first to admit that it can be very difficult at times, at least it has been for us, I'd even say more than not, but you are all more negative about marriage that I've been at our worst moments.

There is a lot to be said about sharing your life with someone. Tsu and I share experiences that wouldn't mean much if we didn't have each other. It is hard to imagine all of those years spent without sharing those experiences.

FINALLY! a voice of reason.

tribdog said:
FINALLY! a voice of reason.

So you've already made up your mind, and "a voice of reason" is anyone who agrees with you?

Moonbear said:
Oh dear! That sounds like a nasty bug! Sorry you were feeling so sick, and glad you're all better now.
Well, I'm probably still here because I am married. I went to my doctor with a severe sinus problem (about 10 years ago) and asked for an antibiotic. The PA said "It's viral and we don't give antibiotics for that." and wrote a scrip. I warned him that I am really intolerant of anything that is a stimulant or a depressant, and he brushed me off with "I prescribe this for kids" That night I woke up so dizzy and sick that I could not find the floor, and after I crawled to the bathroom, my wife had to hoist me onto the toilet. The next day was no better and she called an ambulance over my objections (I thought I had a really bad flu). Within seconds of getting in the back of that bus the EMT said "How often do you fibrillate?", and I said "What?". He told me that my heart was in atrial fibrillation. It turns out that during that episode, a clot formed and migrated to my brain-stem, causing a stroke.

I learned how to walk again fairly quickly, though my balance on uneven ground is poor, and I have almost no temperature-sensation in my right leg. Perversely, my right foot burns all the time, and my neurologist (sweet lady) informed me that since the damage is in my brain-stem, even if I lost my right leg in an accident, my right foot would burn forever (in my brain).

Upshot: If you have a significant other that recognizes REAL impairment (vs not-feeling-good) that's a good thing.

NeoDevin said:
So you've already made up your mind, and "a voice of reason" is anyone who agrees with you?

Of course I've made up my mind. Single sucks.
I don't think agreeing with me makes someone "a voice of reason" but sure doesn't hurt.

Being single isn't too bad at times, but I know it can be very lonely... I think it might just be better to have a boyfriend that you can always count on :biggrin:

mcknia07 said:
Being single isn't too bad at times, but I know it can be very lonely... I think it might just be better to have a boyfriend that you can always count on :biggrin:
As a freshman at college, I had a safe harbor, and so did she. She was a statuesque, Nordic blonde, and too pretty for words. I was short (not so much later) and we leaned on each other. We were each others's go-to's.

Ivan Seeking said:
Wow! I've started to post a number of other comments, but I just keep coming back to WOW! We've been married for over twenty years, and though I will be the first to admit that it can be very difficult at times, at least it has been for us, I'd even say more than not, but you are all more negative about marriage that I've been at our worst moments.

There is a lot to be said about sharing your life with someone. Tsu and I share experiences that wouldn't mean much if we didn't have each other. It is hard to imagine all of those years spent without sharing those experiences.

I don't know that I see people being negative about marriage in this thread, Ivan, so much as I see people being positive about being single. There's a difference. When one doesn't have a warm, loving, mutually beneficial situation with another human being, then operating on one's own devices isn't so bad. We can make a good situation of it and cherish it. I've been in long-term relationships where someone was supposed to be my go to person who shared my life and we made each other's quality of life richer. And guess what? They weren't good situations.

So yes, I'm better right now and perfectly able and capable of being alone and being pleased and comfortable with myself and life. That doesn't mean I'm disparaging marriage or married or partnered situations, and I'm not saying those situations don't have their benefits. But the question was, "how do single folks do it?" and my answer to that is "pretty darn good, actually". :smile:

Fair enough, but it seemed to me that the positives about being single were being weighed unfairly against the disadvantages. There is nothing wrong with choosing to be single. And not everyone will find a good companion. But I certainly wouldn't avoid marriage out of principle. I mean, if Miss or Mr right comes along, don't run and hide.

Btw, I do far more cooking than Tsu, I do my own laundry, and I [almost] always put down the toilet seat. :biggrin:

My roomie doesn't know how to cook so when we are both home I usually wind up doing the cooking for both of us. He leaves messes all over the place including leaving his dirty clothes strewn about the living room and I often have to clean up after him so I can be comfortable in my own home. His idea of doing dishes is leaving them in the sink until he decides to use them again and then putting them back in the sink dirty again when he is done. I also do most of the shopping since he never buys anything that requires more than opening a can and heating for a few minutes in a pot. I complain and he gets annoyed that I am nagging him.
So I am single and have to do all the things everyone complains about except that I don't get any sex out of the deal.

Evo said:
Well, I was married and had a serious bout of flu New Year's eve and my husband went to a party and left me all alone and the power went out.

No wonder you aren't married any longer.

Ivan Seeking said:

I think it was me who started everything writing about how good it is to be single. I am (for most of the time) happily married for almost 24 years. It is just that neither being single nor married is the only correct and perfect way of living.

If you want to have a regular sex, you have to pay with part of your freedom :smile:

Borek said:
If you want to have a regular sex, you have to pay with part of your freedom :smile:

Or your money...

I seem to manage okay, i manage to do every thing my self, well except for the laundry i do not have a washing machine, and the time i wanted a holiday and had a cleaner in for a spring clean, she even cleaned my oven :bugeye: AND moved the furniture to vacuum, she even introduced me to cleaning products i never seen before like plastic wire wool, amazing stuff for cleaning plastic type things without scratching them, and she gave me a soft bush like thing
for cobweb ing and dusting fantastic bit of kit.