Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The single persons thread

1. Sep 8, 2008 #1

wolram

Gold Member

So how does the single person survive, there is no one to do your washing, make your meals, shop for you, pull the splinter out of your------, mop your brow when you have the dreaded flu, hells bells you have to do every thing for your self, according to modern society you should be dead, apart from that my latest chili and ginger cake turned out perfectly.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2008 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would suggest that you stop sitting on wooden benches with an exposed _____ :wink: .

4. Sep 8, 2008 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There is no one to put dirty laundry into your basket, to drink your beer, to finish the precious last piece of pizza and nobody touches papers arranged in a neat pile on your desk. Nothing better can ever happen to you!

5. Sep 8, 2008 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

:rofl:
    Nobody to nag, to set your time the way you don't like, to tell you doing things when you don't feel like it...
    Oh the list goes on...

6. Sep 8, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl "Will you marry me?" The girl said: "NO!"

And the girl lived happily ever after and went shopping, dancing, drank martinis, ate chocolate, always had a clean house, never had to cook, did whatever the hell she wanted, never argued, didn't have to worry about her weight, traveled more, had many lovers, didn't save money, and had all the hot water to herself. She went to the theatre, never watched sports, never wore friggin' lacy lingerie that went up her ***, had high self esteem, never cried or yelled, felt and looked fabulous in sweat pants and was pleasant all the time."

The End. :approve:

7. Sep 8, 2008 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Singledom is freedom.

8. Sep 8, 2008 #7
    being single sucks. and I think it was pretty rude to start this thread the day after I break up with my girlfriend. no, rude is the wrong word. Cruel, that's the word I'm looking for. I hope i spelled everything correctly. I can't quite see through these tears to check.

9. Sep 8, 2008 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You could try getting a dog.

My dog solves all of life's problems the same way. She brings me her squeaky toy to throw and then she'll bring it back - after making it squeak a few times along the way, of course. I'm surprised that solution works for so many problems.

10. Sep 8, 2008 #9
    Enjoying married life is probably in our genes handed down from generation to generation. If you don't like married life, likely your ancestors weren't married.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  11. Sep 8, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. And nobody to see your mess when you can't get around to cleaning everything. :biggrin:

About the only thing on the list that seems bad at first is not having someone to help take care of you when you have an illness like flu. But, then I thought about what married people have told me when they are home sick and I assumed their spouse would take care of them...nope...their spouse would stay as far away as possible hoping to avoid catching the dreaded bug!

12. Sep 8, 2008 #11

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From what we know of the biological reasons we choose a mate that hopefully should not be likely if we've chosen well. I wonder if social pressures for women to shave certain parts contribute to the large incompatibility between many couples these days as indicated by the ever increasing divorce rates.

\tangent

13. Sep 8, 2008 #12
    ow, my neck. I must have twisted it during that double take. Ow, my forehead. I shouldn't have hit it so hard trying to clear it after reading your post. Ow, my throat. I shouldn't have screamed WHAT?

14. Sep 8, 2008 #13

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was of course referring to armpits and pheromones. :smile:

15. Sep 8, 2008 #14
    Oh, I thought you were referring to landing strips and bikini wax.

16. Sep 8, 2008 #15
    Nah, I don't even shave it myself.

17. Sep 8, 2008 #16

Evo

AMEN to that!!!!! :approve:

18. Sep 8, 2008 #17

turbo

Gold Member

Been single, been married. Always ate well, never had dirty laundry piled up or lived in a pig-pen. I'm happily married to my wife, but if she died I probably wouldn't be looking for another wife. Single ain't so bad, and I'd have to get awfully lucky the second time around (and I'm not that lucky).

19. Sep 8, 2008 #18
    Being single sucks, although it can be a blessing. It all depends on who your with I guess. I can honestly say that I have never been that happy when I wasn't single but I have friends that think they are better off with their woman. The trick is to find a girl that isn't a lying ***** or a filthy *****. However, that does rule out 99.99% of the population.

One night stands, here I come.....

20. Sep 8, 2008 #19
    Single is awfully darn good, I'll give it that. There are loads of advantages my attached friends envy. The only truly big downside I've found in the past almost four years happened the week before last when I got ill with a nasty virus that decided I ought not be able to stand very well. I sat for a full fifteen minutes on the floor in my hallway and cried, feeling a combination of frightened and sorry for myself for not having anyone there to help me. And then I recalled I have friends and that asking for help isn't such an awful thing. And it all worked out perfectly.

So, yes, I make all of my own decisions and don't ever have to pick up behind someone else. It's decent.

21. Sep 8, 2008 #20

Evo

Well, I was married and had a serious bout of flu New Year's eve and my husband went to a party and left me all alone and the power went out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?