What is the solution to the solid angle of coffee brain teaser?

In summary, the conversation discusses a difficult brain teaser involving the solid angle of coffee, resistance to change, and the density parameter for the brightness of stars. The solution involves upper and lower case Omega symbols, and the phrase "This is not the end" is not the final clue. A simple arithmetic function can provide hints to solving the puzzle.
Mattara
This is the hardest brain teaser I could think of:

----------------
The solid angle of coffee is quite complicated. It involves some kind of resistance to change, and the density parameter for the brightness of stars is suprisingly inadequate. Unlike most people think, standard angular velocity is not the answer. The issue has to do with asymptotic behaviour of functions rather that the first transfinite ordinal number. Even a simple arithmetic function could tell you that - it is not like it involves baryons and a meson. This is not the end..but it is.
----------------

It is not random things, but actually highly structural! The solution is in the text. You may ask for hints if you wish.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is Omega.

CORRECT! And I though this would be a hard brainteaser...What did you solve it on?

So what is the solid angle of coffee?

Mk said:
So what is the solid angle of coffee?
The coffee is probably irrelevant. In physics books, upper case Omega is a commonly used symbol for solid angle just as it is for electrical resistance. But in math books lower case is commonly used for the first transfinite ordinal and in physics books for angular velocity. The phrase "This is not the end" is not the end of the puzzle, there is a little bit of text after it. However, omega is the end of the greek alphabet. I'm not completely sure about the other clues, but I felt that I had enough to answer the problem and I got lucky.

Last edited:

1. What is "The solid angle of coffee"?

"The solid angle of coffee" refers to the amount of space that a cup of coffee occupies when viewed from a specific point. It is a measure of the three-dimensional angle that the coffee takes up in space.

2. How is the solid angle of coffee measured?

The solid angle of coffee is measured in steradians (sr), which is a unit of measurement for solid angles. It is defined as the ratio of the surface area of a portion of a sphere that is enclosed by a cone to the square of the radius of the sphere. In simpler terms, it is the area of a section of a sphere that is covered by the coffee, divided by the radius of the sphere squared.

3. Does the solid angle of coffee change based on the shape of the cup?

Yes, the solid angle of coffee can change based on the shape of the cup. This is because the shape of the cup can affect the amount of space the coffee takes up when viewed from a specific point. For example, a taller and narrower cup may have a smaller solid angle of coffee compared to a wider and shorter cup, even if they hold the same amount of coffee.

4. What factors can affect the solid angle of coffee?

The solid angle of coffee can be affected by several factors, including the shape of the cup, the amount of coffee in the cup, and the distance between the cup and the viewer. Additionally, the composition of the coffee (such as the density and viscosity) can also play a role in determining its solid angle.

5. Why is the solid angle of coffee important?

The solid angle of coffee is important in understanding the physical properties of coffee and how it interacts with its surroundings. It can also be used in mathematical and scientific calculations, such as predicting the flow of coffee in a cup or determining the amount of coffee needed for a specific brewing method.