Verify Gamelin's Remark: Complex Square and Square Root Functions

In summary, Gamelin's Remark is a mathematical statement that explains the behavior of complex square and square root functions. It states that when a complex number is squared, the result is equivalent to taking the modulus (absolute value) of the complex number and squaring it, then multiplying by the original argument (angle) of the complex number. This remark is important as it helps to simplify complex expressions and solve equations involving these functions. It can be verified by using basic algebraic manipulations and the properties of complex numbers. It can be applied to all complex numbers with a non-zero modulus, including real and imaginary numbers. The practical applications of Gamelin's Remark can be found in fields such as complex analysis, geometry, physics, engineering, computer
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Theodore W. Gamelin's book: "Complex Analysis" ...

I am focused on Chapter 1: The Complex Plane and Elementary Functions ...

I am currently reading Chapter 1, Section 4: The Square and Square Root Functions ... and need some help in verifying a remark by Gamelin ... ...

The relevant section from Gamelin is as follows:View attachment 9288
View attachment 9289In the above text by Gamelin we read the following ... ...

" ... ... Every value \(\displaystyle w\) in the slit plane is the image of exactly two \(\displaystyle z\) values. one in the (open) right half-plane [Re \(\displaystyle z \gt 0\)], the other in the left half-plane [Re \(\displaystyle z \lt 0\)]. ... ... "Now, I wanted to demonstrate via an example that a value of \(\displaystyle w\) was given by two values of \(\displaystyle z\) ... so I let \(\displaystyle w = 1 + i\) ... and proceeded as follows ...

\(\displaystyle w = 1 + i\)

so that

\(\displaystyle w = 2^{ \frac{1}{2} } e^{ i \frac{ \pi }{ 4} }\)So then we have ... ...

\(\displaystyle z_1 = f_1(w) = w^{ \frac{1}{2} } = 2^{ \frac{1}{4} } e^{ i \frac{ \pi }{8} }\)

... and ...

\(\displaystyle z_2 = f_2(w) = - f_1(w) = -w^{ \frac{1}{2} } = 2^{ \frac{1}{4} } e^{ - i \frac{ \pi }{8} } \)(Note that Gamelin uses \(\displaystyle f_2(w)\) for the second branch of \(\displaystyle w^{ \frac{1}{2} }\) ... and, further, notes that \(\displaystyle f_2(w) = - f_1(w)\) ... ... ... ... )My problem is that I do not believe my value or \(\displaystyle z_2\) is correct ... but I cannot see where my process for calculating \(\displaystyle z_2\) is wrong ...

Can someone please explain my mistake and show and explain the correct process for calculating \(\displaystyle z_2\) ... ...
Help will be appreciated ...

Peter

Attachments

• Gamelin - 1 - Remarks, Ch. 1, Section 4 - PART 1... .png
    Gamelin - 1 - Remarks, Ch. 1, Section 4 - PART 1... .png
    31.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Gamelin - 2 - Remarks, Ch. 1, Section 4 - PART 2 ... .png
    Gamelin - 2 - Remarks, Ch. 1, Section 4 - PART 2 ... .png
    37.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is correct. [tex]\omega= 2^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i\frac{\pi}{4}}[/tex] so we have [tex]z= 2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{I\frac{\pi}{8}}[/tex]. We can also write [tex]\omega= 2^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{4}+ 2\pi)}= 2^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i\frac{9\pi}{4}}[/tex] so that [tex]z= 2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{i\frac{9\pi}{8}}[/tex]. Since [tex]\frac{9\pi}{8}= \pi+ \frac{\pi}{8}[/tex], [tex]e^{i\frac{9\pi}{8}}= e^{i\pi}e^{i\frac{\pi}{8}}= -e^{i\frac{\pi}{8}}[/tex] because [tex]e^{i\pi}= -1[/tex].

HallsofIvy said:
What you have is correct. [tex]\omega= 2^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i\frac{\pi}{4}}[/tex] so we have [tex]z= 2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{I\frac{\pi}{8}}[/tex]. We can also write [tex]\omega= 2^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i(\frac{\pi}{4}+ 2\pi)}= 2^{\frac{1}{2}}e^{i\frac{9\pi}{4}}[/tex] so that [tex]z= 2^{\frac{1}{4}}e^{i\frac{9\pi}{8}}[/tex]. Since [tex]\frac{9\pi}{8}= \pi+ \frac{\pi}{8}[/tex], [tex]e^{i\frac{9\pi}{8}}= e^{i\pi}e^{i\frac{\pi}{8}}= -e^{i\frac{\pi}{8}}[/tex] because [tex]e^{i\pi}= -1[/tex].
Thanks for the help, HallsofIvy ...

However I still think my calculation of \(\displaystyle z_2\) ... that is \(\displaystyle z_2 = 2^{ \frac{1}{4} } e^{ - i \frac{ \pi }{8} }\) is incorrect ...Note that \(\displaystyle e^{ - i \frac{ \pi }{8} } \neq - e^{ i \frac{ \pi }{8} }\) ...But ... your post showed me the way ... as follows ..\(\displaystyle z_2 = f_2(w) = - f_1(w) = -w^{ \frac{1}{2} } = -2^{ \frac{1}{4} } e^{ i \frac{ \pi }{8} }\)So ...\(\displaystyle z_2 = 2^{ \frac{1}{4} } ( - e^{ i \frac{ \pi }{8} } ) = 2^{ \frac{1}{4} } e^{ i \frac{ 9 \pi }{8} }\) or ... if you want the argument to be between \(\displaystyle - \pi\) and \(\displaystyle + \pi\) ...\(\displaystyle z_2 = 2^{ \frac{1}{4} } e^{ - i \frac{ 7 \pi }{8} }\)
Is that correct now ... ?

Peter

Peter said:
\(\displaystyle z_2 = 2^{ \frac{1}{4} } e^{ - i \frac{ 7 \pi }{8} }\)

Is that correct now ... ?

Peter
That is correct. Notice that $e^{ - i \frac{ 7 \pi }{8} } = e^{ -i \pi + i\frac{ \pi }{8}} = e^{-i\pi}e^{i\frac\pi8} = -e^{i\frac\pi8}$. Thus $z_2 = -z_1$, as must always be the case with square roots.

1. What is Gamelin's remark about complex square and square root functions?

Gamelin's remark is a statement about the behavior of complex square and square root functions. It states that the complex square function maps every point in the complex plane to a unique point, while the complex square root function maps every point in the complex plane to two distinct points.

2. Why is it important to verify Gamelin's remark?

Verifying Gamelin's remark is important because it helps to understand the behavior of complex square and square root functions. It also serves as a fundamental concept in complex analysis and is used in various applications in mathematics and physics.

3. How can Gamelin's remark be verified?

Gamelin's remark can be verified by using mathematical proofs and examples. By showing that the complex square function maps every point to a unique point and the complex square root function maps every point to two distinct points, the remark can be verified.

4. What are some real-world applications of Gamelin's remark?

Gamelin's remark has various applications in mathematics and physics. In mathematics, it is used in complex analysis to study the behavior of complex functions. In physics, it is used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles with spin 1/2, such as electrons.

5. Are there any exceptions to Gamelin's remark?

Yes, there are exceptions to Gamelin's remark. It does not hold true for certain points in the complex plane, such as the origin, where the complex square root function maps every point to the same point. Additionally, it does not hold true for functions with multiple branches, such as the complex logarithm function.