The story of a future mathematician

In summary: This is in contrast to other fields where you may only be able to focus on one or two areas.All in all, I think it's a great choice to pursue a degree in mathematics and I congratulate you on your upcoming graduation.
Puppykishin11
Hello I'm about to enter high school and i am very fond of mathematics especialy, computer science mathematics. so i just started wondering if it is worth it getting a degree in mathematics then getting a PhD in this field. can someone tell me if this worth it; can people who are pursuing or achieved these degrees toon in

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, it's worth it if you enjoy doing it.

I find mathematics rewarding, challenging, and germane to many fields.

Even though pursuing a PhD in mathematics is my "Plan C", I am quite happy with the path I am on. Sometimes life gets in the way of your "Plan A" and "Plan B" so considering you are still very young, keep an open mind to all of the cool stuff that will become available to you as you proceed through school.

Best of luck in high school and in life ... say no to drugs, obey your parents, and all that other rot!

thank you bpatrick

Puppykishin11 said:
Hello I'm about to enter high school and i am very fond of mathematics especialy, computer science mathematics. so i just started wondering if it is worth it getting a degree in mathematics then getting a PhD in this field. can someone tell me if this worth it; can people who are pursuing or achieved these degrees toon in

Hey Puppykishin11 and welcome to the forums.

I am doing a math major myself and will be graduating next year.

Computer science is a very good combination to do with mathematics. So many applications use both which include, but are not limited to, data mining, cryptography, simulation (games, scientific applications, animated movies, etc) as well as a trillion other things.

I wouldn't worry about the whole PhD thing now or in your first year. Get your feet wet first and then make decisions later about jumping in the ocean.

For me, learning math has been very interesting. It's not rewarding all of the time, but its a good learning experience for various reasons.

One thing you should be aware of is that most people doing these degrees are just ordinary people who like maths. I won't lie to you, pure mathematics can be a nightmare if you don't really want to learn it, but so can any other subject.

Also one good thing with mathematics is there are many areas that you can focus on. Even if you narrow down an interest to pure, applied, or statistics, there are still many sub-areas.

I can definitely understand your interest and passion for mathematics and computer science. Pursuing a degree in mathematics and then potentially a PhD in the field can open up many opportunities for you in the future. Not only will you gain a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills, but you will also develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are highly valued in many industries.

In addition, a degree in mathematics can lead to a variety of career paths, such as data science, finance, engineering, and research. With a PhD, you can also pursue a career in academia and contribute to the advancement of mathematical knowledge.

However, it is important to note that pursuing a degree in mathematics and a PhD requires dedication, hard work, and a strong passion for the subject. It is not an easy path, but if you are truly passionate about mathematics, it can be a rewarding and fulfilling journey.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a degree in mathematics and a PhD should be based on your interests, goals, and aspirations. I encourage you to continue exploring your passion for mathematics and computer science, and to speak with professionals in the field to gain a better understanding of the opportunities and challenges that come with these degrees. Good luck in your academic journey!

1. Who is the future mathematician in the story?

The future mathematician in the story is a young girl named Sarah who has a passion for numbers and solving complex problems.

2. What inspired the future mathematician to pursue a career in mathematics?

The future mathematician's love for numbers and problem-solving was sparked by her parents, who encouraged her curiosity and provided her with books and puzzles to challenge her mind.

3. What challenges does the future mathematician face in the story?

The future mathematician faces many challenges, including doubts from her peers and teachers who don't understand her passion for math, and the pressure to conform to societal expectations of what a young girl should be interested in.

4. How does the future mathematician overcome these challenges?

The future mathematician is determined and resilient, and she does not let the doubts of others discourage her. She finds support and mentorship from a professor at her university who sees her potential and encourages her to pursue her dreams.

5. What lessons can be learned from the story of the future mathematician?

The story of the future mathematician teaches us the importance of following our passions and not letting others dictate our interests or abilities. It also highlights the power of mentorship and support in achieving our goals and overcoming obstacles. Additionally, it showcases the value of diversity in STEM fields and the need for more representation and support for underrepresented groups, such as women in mathematics.