The surface area of an oblate ellipsoid

In summary, the conversation revolves around a formula for the surface area of an oblate ellipsoid and its comparison to a formula stated in a book. The speaker shares their own formula and asks for help in understanding why it does not match the book's formula. They mention using Taylor's expansions in their calculation and discuss the definition of R in the first approximation. Another speaker suggests double checking the definitions of eccentricities and offers to help with the calculation if needed.
Adams2020
TL;DR Summary
How to get the surface area of an oblate ellipsoid in terms of ε?
In "An Introduction to Nuclear Physics by W. N. Cottingham, D. A. Greenwood" for the surface area of an oblate ellipsoid, the following equation is written for small values of ε :
An Introduction to Nuclear Physics  -Cambrid.png

The book has said this without proof.
I found the following formula for the desired shape:
2020-11-23 18_53_30-‪Oblate Spheroid -- from Wolfram MathWorld.png

No matter how hard I tried, I could not get the result of the book with this formula. I used Taylor's expansions in the calculation, but unfortunately my result does not match the book. Help me, please!

Physics news on Phys.org
What did you get...it certainly works through order zero.

hutchphd said:
What did you get...it certainly works through order zero.
My final result is as follows:
4*pi*R^2 (1+ε+ (7/5)ε ^2+ (36/35)ε ^3 +...)
Which has a bad difference with the result of the book.:oldconfused:

There is no term linear in ##\epsilon## because the function is even...remember ##\epsilon=\frac c a ##. How did they define R in the first approximation?

hutchphd said:
There is no term linear in ##\epsilon## because the function is even...remember ##\epsilon=\frac c a ##. How did they define R in the first approximation?
My data is as follows:
2020-11-23 22_10_42-W. N. Cottingham, D. A. Greenwood - An Introduction to Nuclear Physics  -C...png

What then is c in your formula 2??

hutchphd said:
What then is c in your formula 2??
A similar formula was stated by our nuclear professor, but with the difference that there was b instead of c. So I thought in this case b = c
2020-11-23 22_39_06-W. N. Cottingham, D. A. Greenwood - An Introduction to Nuclear Physics  -C...png

I suggest double checking the definitions eccentricities (see wikipedia) and if you wish to show your complete calculation (all steps) I can perhaps help. Otherwise there are too many mystery definitions...certainly these should agree through order ##\epsilon^2##

Likes Adams2020
hutchphd said:
I suggest double checking the definitions eccentricities (see wikipedia) and if you wish to show your complete calculation (all steps) I can perhaps help. Otherwise there are too many mystery definitions...certainly these should agree through order ##\epsilon^2##
ok thanks

1. What is an oblate ellipsoid?

An oblate ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that is formed by rotating an ellipse around its minor axis. It is essentially a flattened sphere with two distinct axes of symmetry.

2. How is the surface area of an oblate ellipsoid calculated?

The surface area of an oblate ellipsoid can be calculated using the formula A = 2πab + (b^2/a)ln[(a+b)/(a-b)], where a and b are the semi-major and semi-minor axes of the ellipsoid, respectively.

3. What are some real-life examples of oblate ellipsoids?

Oblate ellipsoids can be found in many natural and man-made objects, such as planets (like Saturn), eggs, watermelons, and some types of lenses used in cameras and telescopes.

4. How does the surface area of an oblate ellipsoid compare to that of a sphere?

The surface area of an oblate ellipsoid is always greater than that of a sphere with the same volume. This is because the flattening of the ellipsoid results in a larger surface area.

5. What is the significance of calculating the surface area of an oblate ellipsoid?

Calculating the surface area of an oblate ellipsoid is important in various fields of study, such as physics, engineering, and geodesy. It can help in determining the shape and size of planets, designing structures with optimal surface area, and accurately measuring land masses and distances on Earth.