Is Catholicism the solution to resolving controversies and promoting morality?

In summary, the conversation discusses the documentary "The Swedish Theory of Love" and a graph that shows Croatia as the country in the middle. The participants express their opinions on the best country to live in and the risks of love affairs. They also bring up the topic of religion and its role in resolving conflicts. Finally, they mention the benefits of a classical education in understanding and combating issues such as honor violence and dueling.
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Yesterday I have seen the excellent documentary "The Swedish theory of love". (Yes, you can find the full documentary on YouTube, and no, it's not about sex!) Perhaps the most interesting part in the documentary is this graph.
world-culture-map.png

And guess which country is right in the middle? Croatia! If that is not the proof that Croatia is the best country to live in in the world, then I don't know what is. :biggrin:

Attachments

• world-culture-map.png
    world-culture-map.png
    46.7 KB · Views: 1,633
Likes Klystron
Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
And guess which country is right in the middle? Croatia!
Far too risky for love affairs!

While looking up the definitions, I ran across the World Values Survey which seems to be where this came from. It also has a nice video showing how it changes over time.

I would personally prefer countries in the top right.

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier said:
...And guess which country is right in the middle? Croatia! If that is not the proof that Croatia is the best country to live in in the world, then I don't know what is. :biggrin:
Reminds me of Rafferty's old song "Clowns to the Left of us, Jokers to the Right! Still I'm stuck in the middle with you.." :cool:

fresh_42 said:
Far too risky for love affairs!
Unless one is Catholic as confession resolves controversy.
So-called "christian Marxism" relinquishes religion from Honour while (hopefully) retaining ethics and morality.

[One benefit of a classical education are the many old-time polemics against Honour-violence and the waste of dueling. One need only look at the lives of poor Galois, murdered in a contrived 'duel', and Schwarzschild pere, sickened and dying early as a WWI veteran.]

1. What is Catholicism?

Catholicism is a branch of Christianity that follows the teachings of Jesus Christ and is centered around the Catholic Church, which is headed by the Pope. It is the largest Christian denomination in the world.

2. How does Catholicism promote morality?

Catholicism promotes morality through the teachings of the Catholic Church, which are based on the Bible and the tradition of the Church. These teachings include the Ten Commandments and the Beatitudes, which guide Catholics to live a moral and ethical life.

3. Can Catholicism resolve controversies?

Catholicism can offer guidance and insight into resolving controversies through its teachings and principles. However, it is ultimately up to individuals and communities to apply these teachings in a way that promotes understanding and reconciliation.

4. What role does the Catholic Church play in promoting morality?

The Catholic Church plays a central role in promoting morality by providing guidance, support, and resources for individuals to live a moral life. It also advocates for social justice and works towards creating a more just and moral society.

5. Is Catholicism the only solution to resolving controversies and promoting morality?

No, there are many different religions and belief systems that promote morality and offer guidance on resolving controversies. Additionally, individuals may also have their own personal beliefs and values that guide their actions. It is important to respect and understand different perspectives and work towards finding common ground and promoting morality together.