What Makes the Tiki Bar the Favorite Lounge for Members?

• Thread starter SOS2008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary: Ummm, I love chicken enchiladas. When do you think it'll be ready? :tongue2:About an hour, come on over. Bring drinks. :tongue2:The Entertainment has a pretty good rack.Welcome to one of the favorite PF lounges--the Tiki Bar (moved from Philosophy to the new location in General Discussion). At the Tiki Bar members can enjoy exotic drinks and great entertainment. The Tiki Bar also offers fine dining or simply relax on the veranda and enjoy the view. Of course the favorite activity of all at the Tiki Bar is the comment box. We like to hear what members are thinking, so
It's just not the same without SOS. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
Seems awfully quiet around here.

Maybe I'll just confine myself to the kitchen and make Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Sauce, or perhaps try one with an orange-chocolate glaze.

If one has ever had a Jaffa, then one can imagine orange-chocolate. :-p
I'll try a piece of that Chocolate/Raspberry Torte with a Green Apple Martini to wash it down, please. :shy:

I have a treat for you all, blue cheese cheese cake absolutly
delicious with a glass of sherry, or two or three.

wolram said:
I have a treat for you all, blue cheese cheese cake absolutly
delicious with a glass of sherry, or two or three.
If you call it a blue cheese pie or crustless quiche, I'll have some, calling it a cheesecake just doesn't seem right. :bugeye:

Evo said:
If you call it a blue cheese pie or crustless quiche, I'll have some, calling it a cheesecake just doesn't seem right. :bugeye:

But it is cake, normal cake batter with blue cheese added, plus paprika and
a few other bits and pieces, it is much better than sweet cake. :cry: why
wont anyone try it.

wolram said:
wont anyone try it.
Aw, I'll try it Wolram. :smile:

Tsu said:
I'll try a piece of that Chocolate/Raspberry Torte with a Green Apple Martini to wash it down, please. :shy:
That does seem an usual combination. I have never had a Green Apple Martini, so I can't imagine the taste.

Maybe later I'll do Rum cake.

can i have a bahamma yomamma?

Astronuc said:
That does seem an usual combination. I have never had a Green Apple Martini, so I can't imagine the taste.

My version of a triple whammy. :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
Maybe later I'll do Rum cake.

That would be fine. Just save me the last piece of Chocolate/Raspberry Torte. My ER doc just brought me four bars of dark chocolate. Anyone want some? I have three left... :biggrin:

wolram said:
wont anyone try it.

Pass some to ME! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Tsu said:
That would be fine. Just save me the last piece of Chocolate/Raspberry Torte. My ER doc just brought me four bars of dark chocolate. Anyone want some? I have three left... :biggrin:
Ooh, I never refuse chocolate!

I'm getting cake tomorrow, but don't know what flavor yet. I hope they got me a chocolate one, but they're all good from the bakery they order from. :approve: It's my good-bye get-together thing...we're having cake at around 4 and then I'm going out to dinner. I like how this was planned, dessert first, then dinner! :biggrin: It makes it a lot easier to be sure there's room for dessert if you eat it first.

Evo and Tsu, you won't regret it, as it has no sugar it won't give you love
handles, once you have a taste for it you will be hooked :devil: :biggrin:

Now may i have a drink please, all this chitty chatting has given me a thirst.

Moonbear said:
Ooh, I never refuse chocolate!

Comin' at ya, sis. :biggrin: *shoves dark chocolate bar into MB's hard drive*

I'm getting cake tomorrow, but don't know what flavor yet. I hope they got me a chocolate one, but they're all good from the bakery they order from. :approve: It's my good-bye get-together thing...we're having cake at around 4 and then I'm going out to dinner. I like how this was planned, dessert first, then dinner! :biggrin: It makes it a lot easier to be sure there's room for dessert if you eat it first.

Oooo.. Save some CAKE for me, too! I also like the way your co-workers think. It sounds like they live by MY version of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. :biggrin: (Life is Uncertain. Eat dessert FIRST!) :smile: :smile:

Tsu said:
Comin' at ya, sis. :biggrin: *shoves dark chocolate bar into MB's hard drive*
Mmm...thanks! :approve:

Oooo.. Save some CAKE for me, too! I also like the way your co-workers think. It sounds like they live by MY version of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle. :biggrin: (Life is Uncertain. Eat dessert FIRST!) :smile: :smile:
:smile: Yes, I'm going to miss them. :frown:

yomamma said:
can i have a bahamma yomamma?
CHICH! Roger Charlie, the Eagle has landed, I repeat, the Eagle has landed! Over. CHICH!

Do the chocolate afficionados here like Mounds or Almond Joy bars?

If so, one might like McRoberston's Cherry Ripes - cherry and coconut covered in dark chocolate. One of my favorite candy bars.

Also, does anyone have recommendations on Ginger Beers (not Ginger Ale)? I recently tried one by Goya, which was pretty good. However, there is one that I had years ago, but can't remember the name, which was the best I've ever had - it had a real 'kick' to it.

Also - Smoothies. There are different recipes and bases for smoothies - besides the ones used by Jamba Juice.

A friend at the Juice Caboose in La Jolla made great soothies with a banana base. He made an excellent tropical blend with banana, mango, papaya, some OJ and IIRC apple, and fresh ginger. He added extra ginger and it was incredible. :-p

Not food related, but more along the lines of entertainment -

I received a copy of Christopher Paolini's "Eldest", the second book of three in the Trilogy "Inheritance". It's a story similar in many ways to Lord of the Rings, but Paolini provides a compelling story. He finished the first book "Eragon" when he was 20 years of age.

A young man, Eragon, finds a dragon, which he names Saphira, and sets off the overthrow the evil Galbatorix.

All this takes place in Alagaësia - www.alagaesia.com

More info at - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eragon

and if you are into this stuff - a Dragonrider's website - http://www.shurtugal.com/

and apparently there will be a movie, which is scheduled for release in June, 2006.

Astronuc! :mad: I made a thread specifically for book reviews! :-p

TheStatutoryApe said:
Astronuc! :mad: I made a thread specifically for book reviews! :-p
Where? :biggrin:

Okay barkeep, set me up with the strongest drink you have! I got through all of today's good-byes without breaking into tears, but it was close a few times (thank heavens we sat at an outside table so I could wear my sunglasses!) My boss and his wife, who is also a very good friend of mine, leave on vacation tomorrow, so even though tomorrow is really my last day, we did all the good-bye celebrations today. I'm going to miss this place...well, not so much this place (I keep learning more and more that tells me it's a good thing I'm getting out now), but the people I work with. I've really grown spoiled here with such great people to work with. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Where are you going to be working now?

Astronuc said:
Not food related, but more along the lines of entertainment -

I received a copy of Christopher Paolini's "Eldest", the second book of three in the Trilogy "Inheritance". It's a story similar in many ways to Lord of the Rings, but Paolini provides a compelling story. He finished the first book "Eragon" when he was 20 years of age.

A young man, Eragon, finds a dragon, which he names Saphira, and sets off the overthrow the evil Galbatorix.

and apparently there will be a movie, which is scheduled for release in June, 2006.

So would you say its "that good?"

yomamma said:
Where are you going to be working now?
Gosh, you should pay more attention. I've only been talking about it for about a month now. :biggrin: I'm moving to West Virginia...and still can't get that damned song out of my head..."Take me home, country roads..." It's driving me insane, but everytime I say the name of the state, that song spontaneously pops into my head again.

Astronuc said:
Where? :biggrin:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=86115 :wink:
It's still on the front page even!

Moonie said:
Gosh, you should pay more attention. I've only been talking about it for about a month now. I'm moving to West Virginia...and still can't get that damned song out of my head..."Take me home, country roads..." It's driving me insane, but everytime I say the name of the state, that song spontaneously pops into my head again.
Moonie's going to be a hot mountain momma.

wolram said:
MoonbearCongratulations now you must be extra careful
with moving stuff, no heavy lifting.
I entered the word "hot" in hopes that it wouldn't be taken that way. Thanks.

wolram said:
MoonbearCongratulations now you must be extra careful
with moving stuff, no heavy lifting.
Thanks woolie. I think I did the last of the heavy lifting last night getting some furniture I'm not moving out for the curbside donation program. :biggrin: (It amazes me the speed at which furniture disappears when left out at the curb.) I have movers coming to do all the other heavy lifting. I'm going to be so spoiled with this move!

I have been looking for good Ginger Beers (much stronger than Ginger Ale). I had one some time ago, and it had a real bite to it. But I can't remember the brand. I have been drinking Goya Ginger Beer for a while and it's pretty good, but I am searching for the ultimate Ginger Beer.

I found one site on-line which lists various ginger beers and ales. I would appreciate any comments regarding taste and if any brands are available where any member resides.

GINGER BEER/ALES

And then I just found this one - Gillespies from Tasmania:
http://www.gillespies.alltasmanian.com/

I definitely have to get my hands on some of that.

I am also searching for the ultimate Root Beer and the ultimate Hot & Sour Soup. :-p

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying a round for the house! :smile:

Celebrating 1 year at PF - which began Sep 7, 2004. :biggrin:

Sorry I've been gone so long, but...I've been working on the new floating Tiki Bar & Hotel! Here are the photos as we dock up at our first port of call...

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/6211/fancyhotel16ub.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4388/fancyhotel64uk.jpg
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/6951/fancyhotel77ge.jpg

We were trying very hard to have the new Grand Opening in time for Astronuc's PF anniversary, but had a few complications (someone fell overboard, er, umm). Nonetheless, we offer a complimentary stay to Astronuc and his guest.

Now if you'll excuse me, someone put pirana in the dang fish tank...

Last edited by a moderator:
woo woo! $400 a night! and we get to stay free!

Wow! SOS, I love what you've done with the place! Excellent lobster tank there. :approve: I think I'll put on my swimsuit and head down to that pool (or is it swimsuit optional?)

OMG! I'm blind!

Back