The total system momentum vector before the collision is approximately

In summary, the scenario presented is a minor motor-vehicle accident involving two cars, X and Y, colliding at 1.000m/s each. Both cars have a mass of 1000kg, and the total system momentum vector before the collision is approximately 1414 kg x m/s toward the northeast. This is determined by using vector sum and applying the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the total momentum vector. However, the process of using triangles to find the vector sum may not have been taught yet, causing confusion.
Acestein
Envision a minor motor-vehicle accident. Car X backs out of a parking space at 1.000m/s toward the east. Car Y, whose driver searches for a place to park, travels north at 1.000m/s. Neither driver sees the other car, and the cars collide. Suppose that each car (including its driver) has a mass of 1000kg. The total system momentum vector before the collision is approximately?

a) 1000kg x m/s toward the northeast.
b) 1414 kg x m/s toward the northeast.
c) 2000kg x m/s toward the northeast.
d) zero, because the vehicles haven't hit each other yet!

It is said to be answer b, but I'm not sure how the textbook arrived at this conclusion.
Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Okay so draw a vector sum. Draw at arrow going east for X and an arrow going north for Y, find each of their momentums and ... Hint: triangles

I haven't been taught to use triangles yet. So I'm a bit confused. I know that it involves pythagoras therom and i got the answer of 1414, but I'm not sure how it fits in.

1. What is the total system momentum vector before the collision?

The total system momentum vector before the collision refers to the combined momentum of all the objects involved in the collision. It takes into account the mass and velocity of each object and represents the overall motion of the system.

2. How is the total system momentum vector calculated?

The total system momentum vector is calculated by adding together the individual momentum vectors of each object in the system. The momentum vector is found by multiplying the mass of the object by its velocity.

3. Why is the total system momentum vector important in collisions?

The total system momentum vector is important in collisions because it is conserved, meaning it stays the same before and after the collision. This helps to predict the outcome of the collision and understand the forces involved.

4. Can the total system momentum vector be negative?

Yes, the total system momentum vector can be negative if the objects involved in the collision are moving in opposite directions. This indicates that the total momentum of the system is in the opposite direction from the initial motion.

5. How does the total system momentum vector affect the outcome of a collision?

The total system momentum vector plays a crucial role in determining the outcome of a collision. If the total momentum before and after the collision is the same, the objects will bounce off each other with equal and opposite velocities. If there is an external force involved, the total momentum may not be conserved and the objects may have different velocities after the collision.