The Triangle Inequality: How to Prove It?

• Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs Work
In summary: The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality is a different result, but it can be used to prove this one. The Cauchy-Schwarz inequality states that for any two vectors ##\vec{a}## and ##\vec{b}## in a vector space, we have ##|\vec{a}\cdot\vec{b}| \le |\vec{a}||\vec{b}|##.In summary, the statement given is proving two inequalities, (i) and (ii), using the concept of absolute value. The first inequality states that the absolute value of the difference between the absolute values of two numbers is less than or equal to the absolute value of their difference. The second inequality, which follows
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Prove the following:

(i) ##|x|-|y| \le |x-y|##

and

(ii) ##|(|x|-|y|)| \le |x-y|\qquad## (Why does this immediately follow from (i) ?)

Homework Equations

##|z| = \sqrt{z^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) ##(|x|-|y|)^2 = |x|^2 - 2|x||y| + |y|^2 = x^2 - 2|x||y| + y^2 \le x^2 - 2xy + y^2= (x-y)^2 \implies \boxed{|x|-|y| \le |x-y|.}##(ii) For this part, I looked at the question "Why does this immediately follow from (i)" for inspiration and saw that if I could show that ##|(|x|-|y|)| \le |x-y|## then the proof is complete by transitivity.

Is it as simple as:

##|(|x|-|y|)| = \sqrt{(|(|x|-|y|)|)^2} = \sqrt{(|x|-|y|)^2} = |x|-|y|?##

I think that it is, but it is getting late :redface:

Physics news on Phys.org
If |x|> |y|, (ii) is identical to (i). If |y|< |x|, swap the two.

Saladsamurai said:
Is it as simple as:

##|(|x|-|y|)| = \sqrt{(|(|x|-|y|)|)^2} = \sqrt{(|x|-|y|)^2} = |x|-|y|?##

No, it isn't. ##\sqrt{(|x|-|y|)^2} = |x|-|y|## only when ##|x|\ge |y|##.

Saladsamurai said:
(i) ##(|x|-|y|)^2 = |x|^2 - 2|x||y| + |y|^2 = x^2 - 2|x||y| + y^2 \le x^2 - 2xy + y^2= (x-y)^2 \implies \boxed{|x|-|y| \le |x-y|.}##

Remember that ##\sqrt{a^2}=|a|## and if ##0\le a\le b## then ##\sqrt a\le \sqrt b##. So how can you change the above conclusion?

Isn't this what is called the kaushy swartz?

Related to The Triangle Inequality: How to Prove It?

1. Does the experiment have a control group?

Yes, the experiment has a control group to serve as a baseline for comparison. This allows for a more accurate evaluation of the effects of the independent variable.

2. How many times was the experiment repeated?

The experiment was repeated multiple times to ensure consistency and validity of the results. The number of repeats may vary depending on the specific experiment and its requirements.

3. What are the limitations of the experiment?

Every experiment has limitations, whether it be in terms of resources, time, or external factors. These limitations should be acknowledged and addressed in the experiment's methodology and discussion to provide a comprehensive understanding of the results.

4. What is the significance of the results?

The significance of the results depends on the specific experiment and its objectives. It is important to consider the context and potential applications of the findings to determine their significance and impact.

5. Are there any potential sources of error in the experiment?

Yes, there could be potential sources of error in any experiment. These could include human error, equipment malfunction, or external factors. It is important to identify and address these sources of error to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the results.