The Psychology of Gender Pronoun Usage

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary: Yep, English doesn't accommodate a gender-neutral third single person pronoun, so I always default to "they" or "them". I've noticed that Astronuc unfailingly uses "one", and while that works really nicely, it sounds overly formal in a lot of circumstances. I think it's cool how consistent he is about it,... even if it is a bit of a nitpick on my part.
fuzzyfelt said:
I've written "he/she" too, but have wondered at the time why I don't write "she/he", or "s/he".

My professor in grad school (where I got my MFA in Literature and Creative Writing--no joke, I did) had his opinion of s/he:

He thought it was s/hit.

Edit:
May I have my first warning ever now please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Chi Meson said:
That one post of mine, by itself, could be considered ambiguous in intent I'll admit. But In context with this entire thread, I believe my opinion is quite clear.

Another thing that is clear: I use "quotes" far too much. It's "easier" than putting those self referential words into italics as would be "proper," but I'll try not to be so lazy in the "future."
"Hey, no problem, I completely understand."

Chi Meson said:
My professor in grad school (where I got my MFA in Literature and Creative Writing--no joke, I did) had his opinion of s/he:

He thought it was s/hit.

Edit:
May I have my first warning ever now please?

:rofl:
May I have my first for quoting?