The vector space of matrices that commute with A

In summary, the set V is defined as the set of all matrices B that commute with a given n x n matrix A. V is a subspace of M_n x n(F), but determining its dimension can be challenging. One way to approach this problem is by constructing a basis for V, which would involve solving a system of linear equations. The dimension of V can vary depending on the properties of A and B, with a minimum of 2 and a maximum of n^2. Additional constraints on A and B, such as being Hermitian or sharing the same eigenvectors, can also affect the dimension of V. This concept is also known as commuting matrices and has been studied in mathematics.
Bipolarity
Suppose ##A## is a ## n \times n## matrix.

Define the set ## V = \{ B | AB = BA, B \in M_{n \times n}( \mathbb{F}) \} ##
I know that ##V## is a subspace of ##M_{n \times n}( \mathbb{F}) ## but how might I go about finding the dimension of ##V##? Is this even possible? It seems like an interesting problem, but constructing a basis for ##V## seems to me challenging enough. Any tips for me?

Thanks!

P.S. Not a homework problem, I made it myself and not sure if it has a simple answer.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's demonstrate this with 2X2 matrices...

Let A = [itex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}
1 & 2 \\
3 & 4 \\ \end{array} \right)[/itex] . Multiplying this from either side with the general 2X2 matrix [itex]\left( \begin{array}{cc}
a & b \\
c & d \\ \end{array} \right)[/itex] and requiring that the matrix elements of these products are equal, we get a system of linear equations:

[itex]a + 2c - a - 3b = 0[/itex]
[itex]b + 2d - 2a - 4b = 0[/itex]
[itex]3a + 4c - c - 3d = 0[/itex]
[itex]3b + 4d - 2c - 4d = 0[/itex]

Now we get the dimensionality of the space of matrices commuting with A as the dimensionality of the kernel of the coefficient matrix of this linear system.

The answer is going to depend upon A. For example, if A= 0, AB= BA= 0 for all B so the space of all matrices that commute with A has dimension [itex]n^2[/itex].

In general you would have [itex]n^2[/itex] equations
[tex]\sum_{m=1}^n A_{im} B_{mj} - A_{mj}B_{im} = 0[/tex]
The dimension of [itex]V[/itex] will be a most [itex]n^2[/itex] and at least [itex]2[/itex] (providing [itex]n > 1[/itex]), since all [itex]n\times n[/itex] matrices commute with scalar multiples of the identity, as well as scalar multiples of themselves. Perhaps it is interesting to consider additional constraints on [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex]. For example, what if [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] are Hermitian?

I'm not a very mathy person, so I'll just drop my 2 cents. If B has the same eigenvectors as A, then it commutes with A.

HasuChObe said:
I'm not a very mathy person, so I'll just drop my 2 cents. If B has the same eigenvectors as A, then it commutes with A.

This almost cuts out the full heart of the matter. The matrices will commute if and only if there is a basis where they are both upper triangular.

There's even a wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commuting_matrices

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects (vectors) that can be added together and multiplied by constants (scalars). In order to qualify as a vector space, a set of objects must satisfy a set of axioms, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and the existence of an additive and multiplicative identity.

2. What does it mean for two matrices to commute?

Two matrices, A and B, commute if their multiplication is commutative, meaning that AB = BA. In other words, the order in which the matrices are multiplied does not affect the result. This is similar to how the commutative property holds for regular numbers, where the order of multiplication does not change the product.

3. How do you find the vector space of matrices that commute with a specific matrix A?

The vector space of matrices that commute with A, denoted as C(A), can be found by considering the set of all matrices B such that AB = BA. This set forms the basis for C(A), and by applying the axioms of a vector space, we can determine the dimension and other properties of C(A).

4. Why is the vector space of matrices that commute with A important?

The vector space of matrices that commute with A has several important applications in mathematics and physics. For example, it can be used to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A, which are crucial in solving many problems in linear algebra. Additionally, this vector space can help us understand the structure and properties of A itself.

5. Can there be more than one vector space of matrices that commute with A?

Yes, there can be multiple vector spaces that commute with a given matrix A. This is because the set of matrices that commute with A can vary depending on the specific properties and dimensions of A. However, all of these vector spaces will share some common properties, such as having A as one of its elements and having the same dimension as the null space of A.