1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The velocity of the ball?

1. Jul 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two soccer players kick a ball back and forth toward each other. They start off 50 meters apart, and walk toward each other with equal speeds. They kick the ball continuously until they meet in the middle one minute later. What is the magnitude of the ball’s average horizontal velocity in meters per second?

2. Relevant equations

I have no clue of how to solve this, can anyone give some guide, please? :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2013 #2

lewando

Gold Member

What is the definition of average velocity?

4. Jul 7, 2013 #3
    I thought average velocity meant average speed (speed="velocidad" in Spanish). Thank you very much, lewando, :)

5. Jul 7, 2013 #4

lewando

Gold Member

In physics (English), "velocity" is a vector. "Speed" is the word for magnitude of a velocity vector. I don't think Spanish has the same kind of word mapping (la rapidez for speed?). Perhaps you could use "vector de velocidad" = velocity and "velocidad" = speed, I suppose.

The definition of "average vector of velocity" is very specific. It involves displacement. Anything in your textbook?

6. Jul 7, 2013 #5
    Then I can just do 25 (displacement)/ 60 (seconds) and thats all, isn't it?

I don't have a textbook, that's from an online couse I decided to take, I'm reading the theory from wikipedia :)

7. Jul 7, 2013 #6

lewando

Gold Member

That is correct for the magnitude of the average velocity vector (which is what you are being asked to find). The average velocity vector would include direction information.

"textbook" tells you how old I am.

8. Jul 7, 2013 #7
    Got it. Thanks, lewando!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted