The weight of an object is 25kgf. What is it's mass if local gravity is 9.6m/s^2

In summary, weight is the force exerted on an object by gravity while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. They are directly proportional to each other and the relationship is expressed by weight = mass x gravitational acceleration. The weight of an object is given in kilograms-force (kgf) because it takes into account the local gravity. Local gravity affects the weight of an object, with objects weighing more or less depending on the strength of gravity. To calculate mass, the formula mass = weight / gravitational acceleration can be used.
hakingpawns
I've learned Kg to Kgf
this time I got another question.. I think it's another way around..

"The weight of an object is 25kgf. What is it's mass if local gravity is 9.6m/s^2"

Tried this..
25/(9.6)(9.8)= 25.5kg

Physics news on Phys.org
hakingpawns said:
I've learned Kg to Kgf
this time I got another question.. I think it's another way around..

"The weight of an object is 25kgf. What is it's mass if local gravity is 9.6m/s^2"

Tried this..
25/(9.6)(9.8)= 25.5kg

Never seen Kgf before, but that sounds reasonable.

1. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the force exerted on an object by gravity, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity, while mass remains constant.

2. How is mass related to the weight of an object?

Mass and weight are directly proportional to each other. As the mass of an object increases, its weight also increases. This relationship is expressed by the formula weight = mass x gravitational acceleration.

3. Why is the weight of an object given in kilograms-force (kgf)?

Kilograms-force (kgf) is a unit of force commonly used in physics, and it is defined as the force exerted by gravity on a mass of 1 kilogram. This unit is often used to measure weight because it takes into account the strength of gravity.

4. How does local gravity affect the weight of an object?

The strength of gravity varies depending on the location on Earth. Objects will weigh more or less depending on the local gravity. For example, an object that weighs 25kgf on Earth would weigh less on the moon due to the moon's weaker gravitational pull.

5. How do you calculate mass if the weight and local gravity are known?

To calculate the mass of an object, you can use the formula mass = weight / gravitational acceleration. In this case, the mass would be 25kgf / 9.6m/s^2 = 2.604 kg.