Addition/Multiplication of Natural Numbers - Bloch Th. 1.2.7

In summary: Yes, it was about Bloch claiming that "clearly" ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## before he had proved that ##G## contained some elements ... I would have been happy if he had proved ##1 \in G## ... and then claimed ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## ... ...... ... indeed for me ... we should be aware that all elements of ##G## are also elements of ##\mathbb{N}## - which we have ... AND ... we need to know that G is not empty ... Mind you ... you now have me thinking that ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## anyway since
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Ethan D. Bloch's book: The Real Numbers and Real Analysis ...

I am currently focused on Chapter 1: Construction of the Real Numbers ...

I need help/clarification with an aspect of Theorem 1.2.7 (1) ...

Theorem 1.2.7 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=10af9cc36ca677ab540d906429ca0a63.png

?temp_hash=10af9cc36ca677ab540d906429ca0a63.png

In the above proof of (1) we read the following:" We will show that ##G = \mathbb{N}##, which will imply the desired result. Clearly ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}##. ... ... ... "Before he proves that ##1 \in G##, Bloch asserts that ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## ... what is his reasoning ...?

It does not appear to me ... from the order in which he says things that he is saying

##1 \in G## ... therefore ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## ...

Can we immediately conclude that ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## without relying on ##1 \in G## ... ... ?

(Bloch does the same in a number of places in this chapter ... )Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

Attachments

• Bloch - 1 - Theorem 1.2.7 (1) - PART 1 ... ....png
    Bloch - 1 - Theorem 1.2.7 (1) - PART 1 ... ....png
    29.4 KB · Views: 667
  • Bloch - 2 - Theorem 1.2.7 (1) - PART 2 ... ....png
    Bloch - 2 - Theorem 1.2.7 (1) - PART 2 ... ....png
    35.3 KB · Views: 566
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Before he proves that ##1 \in G##, Bloch asserts that ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## ... what is his reasoning ...?
This follows directly from the definition of ##G##, which is defined as the set of elements ##z## of ##\mathbb N## that satisfy the required cancellation property:
$$G=\{z\in\mathbb N\ |\ z\textrm{ satisfies the cancellation property}\}$$
In other words, ##G## is defined as the subset of ##\mathbb N## obtained by applying the criteria that elements must have the cancellation property. IIRC, in Zermelo-Frankel set theory axioms, this is using the Axiom Schema of Specification, which says we can make a subset of an existing set by applying a criterion to filter the elements.

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
This follows directly from the definition of ##G##, which is defined as the set of elements ##z## of ##\mathbb N## that satisfy the required cancellation property:
$$G=\{z\in\mathbb N\ |\ z\textrm{ satisfies the cancellation property}\}$$
In other words, ##G## is defined as the subset of ##\mathbb N## obtained by applying the criteria that elements must have the cancellation property. IIRC, in Zermelo-Frankel set theory axioms, this is using the Axiom Schema of Specification, which says we can make a subset of an existing set by applying a criterion to filter the elements.
Thanks Andrew ... appreciate the help ...

But ... what if no ##z## satisfy the criteria for membership of ##G## ... and ##G = \emptyset## ... ?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks Andrew ... appreciate the help ...

But ... what if no ##z## satisfy the criteria for membership of ##G## ... and ##G = \emptyset## ... ?

Peter
Then the proof won't be able to be completed. But the statement that ##G\subseteq \mathbb N## will still be valid, because the empty set is a subset of every set.

Perhaps your concern is not about the claim that ##G## is a subset of ##\mathbb N## but rather about whether it is non-empty. He proves that further down, first by showing that ##1\in G##.

As a bit of trivia, a handy way to define the empty set, given a set ##A##, is to write it as
$$\{x\in A\ |\ x\neq x\}$$

Likes Math Amateur
andrewkirk said:
Then the proof won't be able to be completed. But the statement that ##G\subseteq \mathbb N## will still be valid, because the empty set is a subset of every set.

Perhaps your concern is not about the claim that ##G## is a subset of ##\mathbb N## but rather about whether it is non-empty. He proves that further down, first by showing that ##1\in G##.

As a bit of trivia, a handy way to define the empty set, given a set ##A## is to write it as
$$\{x\in A\ |\ x\neq x\}$$
Yes, it was about Bloch claiming that "clearly" ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## before he had proved that ##G## contained some elements ... I would have been happy if he had proved ##1 \in G## ... and then claimed ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## ... ...

... ... indeed for me ... we should be aware that all elements of ##G## are also elements of ##\mathbb{N}## - which we have ... AND ... we need to know that G is not empty ... Mind you ... you now have me thinking that ##G \subseteq \mathbb{N}## anyway since ##\emptyset \subseteq \mathbb{N}## ... ...

Peter

What are natural numbers?

Natural numbers are positive integers (whole numbers) that are used to count objects or elements. They start from 1 and continue infinitely.

What is addition of natural numbers?

Addition of natural numbers is the mathematical operation of combining two or more numbers to get a total or sum. It is denoted by the plus (+) sign.

What is multiplication of natural numbers?

Multiplication of natural numbers is the mathematical operation of repeated addition. It is used to find the total number of objects when they are arranged in equal groups. It is denoted by the multiplication (x) sign.

What is the commutative property of addition and multiplication of natural numbers?

The commutative property states that the order in which numbers are added or multiplied does not change the result. For example, 2+3=3+2 and 2x3=3x2.

What is the associative property of addition and multiplication of natural numbers?

The associative property states that when adding or multiplying more than two numbers, the grouping of the numbers does not change the result. For example, (2+3)+4=2+(3+4) and (2x3)x4=2x(3x4).