The What is It? Game continued

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Game
In summary, a woman in a white dress is standing next to a window with her face partially blocked by something. Some people think she looks like a Vulcan, while others think she's on the phone.
edward said:
I also read that the type of lens that was used to make this type of picture was not yet avaliable in 1840. Why is it that I feel bad about bursting everyones bubble.?:cry:
Don't feel bad. Lots of people get fooled by old photographs, including antique dealers, who should know better. There was no means of taking clear group portraits until at least the 1850's, and in the 1860's (soldiers going away to the Civil War) saw a boom in cartes de visite photography and tintypes. In fact, some tintype photographers made quick money by photographing whole squads of solders (those that could afford it) one at a time with cameras that had multiple objective lenses. Some cameras had as many as 16 objectives, yielding 16 separate images on a single metal plate. The plate was cut up with metal shears, and the soldier had images to give to his sweetheart and parents, and some to trade with members of his unit. I have cataloged a box of these tiny "gem" tintypes of civil war soldiers, and though they were not individually identified, they brought a lot of money at auction. Any paper photograph made from a negative is generally post 1860. Matthew Brady was the most prominent photographer to document the carnage of the Civil War, which broke the long tradition of photography used for landscape scenes and portraiture. People were quite shocked by the battlefield pictures made by his staff of photographers following the troops around with portable darkrooms in their wagons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yay! Congrats, edward.

Here is yet another article
http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/4886.html

Ok, I chose this one because it puts the size into perspective, what are the two items in the picture?

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/443/what2xh6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The creatures probably a dust mite but I have no clue as to the name of the structure its on. Impressive though :smile:

Kurdt said:
The creatures probably a dust mite but I have no clue as to the name of the structure its on. Impressive though :smile:
You don't need to know the actual name of the device, just what category it falls into.

turbo-1 said:
Don't feel bad. Lots of people get fooled by old photographs, including antique dealers, who should know better. There was no means of taking clear group portraits until at least the 1850's, and in the 1860's (soldiers going away to the Civil War) saw a boom in cartes de visite photography and tintypes. In fact, some tintype photographers made quick money by photographing whole squads of solders (those that could afford it) one at a time with cameras that had multiple objective lenses. Some cameras had as many as 16 objectives, yielding 16 separate images on a single metal plate. The plate was cut up with metal shears, and the soldier had images to give to his sweetheart and parents, and some to trade with members of his unit. I have cataloged a box of these tiny "gem" tintypes of civil war soldiers, and though they were not individually identified, they brought a lot of money at auction. Any paper photograph made from a negative is generally post 1860. Matthew Brady was the most prominent photographer to document the carnage of the Civil War, which broke the long tradition of photography used for landscape scenes and portraiture. People were quite shocked by the battlefield pictures made by his staff of photographers following the troops around with portable darkrooms in their wagons.

I had the privilege to hold in my hands the very first photograph in the history of photography of a human being/(portrait)----I still (like right now even) get my hairs on my arms to raise thinking about it.

--------------------------
The photo with the mite looks like some kind of gate--like a camera

Last edited:
Evo said:
You don't need to know the actual name of the device, just what category it falls into.

It's a micro-machine involving a double rack-and-pinion drive, but I have no idea what it's for.

Danger said:
It's a micro-machine involving a double rack-and-pinion drive, but I have no idea what it's for.
Yep, I'll give this one to you and Kurdt.

The caption is "The image above shows a Spider mite with legs on a mirror drive assembly."

Courtesy Sandia National Laboratories, SUMMiTTM Technologies, www.mems.sandia.gov

Evo, that is probably an actuator for a micro-mirror, being prototyped for fiber-optic switching with a dust mite for scale.

Edit: Crap! it took me time to figure out how to describe this, but I found an image of the micro-mirror and the hinging mechanism.

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
Evo, that is probably an actuator for a micro-mirror, being prototyped for fiber-optic switching with a dust mite for scale.

Edit: Crap! it took me time to figure out how to describe this, but I found an image of the micro-mirror and the hinging mechanism.
Ok, you also win. Any of you can post the next question.