Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The white ship

1. Jun 15, 2006 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Or the ancient titanic, it sailed from Barfleur, anyone know anything about it? i will not give any more details so you do not go wasting your time googling, it is just that i need some details.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2006 #2
  4. Jun 15, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

5. Jun 16, 2006 #4
  6. Jun 16, 2006 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Jimmy, i am looking for what type of ship , there are depictions in old tapestries, but they are very stylised, i have serched google, i thought
    that maybe someone had a non google source.

7. Jun 16, 2006 #6
    None of the three links I posted were 'google sources'. I just used google to find them. Are you looking for a web site that google doesn't know about? Good luck with that.

8. Jun 16, 2006 #7
    I googled for shipbuilding "12th century" and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipbuilding
    Wiki. Figures.

Was there a sternpost or rudder on the images you saw?

9. Jun 16, 2006 #8

wolram

Gold Member

Jimmy, a sternpost was introduced about the time in question, i will have to have another look at the images, i have seen a reference to the white ship that calls it a (snake ship) whatever that means.

10. Jun 16, 2006 #9

wolram

Gold Member

In one refference the white ship is called a dragon ship, i have found an obscure note that states a dragon ship is a viking (drekkar), anyone ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?