Then you could try to manipulate the inequality to show that it is always true.

In summary, a transformation proof is a mathematical technique used to prove the congruence of two geometric figures by applying a series of transformational steps. The specific transformations used in a proof depend on the given information and it is helpful to start with the most obvious one and consider other possibilities. The purpose of a transformation proof is to provide a logical and visual justification for the congruence of two figures. Common mistakes to avoid include not following the given information, using incorrect or incomplete transformations, and not fully justifying each step. Working backwards from the desired result and looking for patterns can make completing a transformation proof more efficient.
eckiller
I have the transformation:

z' = g(z) = f*z / (f-n) - f*n / (f-n)

f >= 0 , n>= 0 constants that define an interval [n, f].

I want to prove, z' <= z.

Physics news on Phys.org
eckiller said:
I have the transformation:

z' = g(z) = f*z / (f-n) - f*n / (f-n)

f >= 0 , n>= 0 constants that define an interval [n, f].

I want to prove, z' <= z.
One way I suppose you could do it is by saying the opposite, and then try to prove yourself wrong:

[tex]\frac{fz-fn}{f-n}\geq z[/tex]

1. What is a transformation proof?

A transformation proof is a mathematical technique used to prove that two geometric figures are congruent. It involves applying a series of transformational steps, such as translations, rotations, reflections, and dilations, to one figure in order to transform it into the other figure.

2. How do I know which transformations to use in a proof?

The transformations used in a proof depend on the specific problem and the given information. Generally, it is helpful to start with the most obvious transformation, such as a translation or rotation, and then consider other possibilities. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or use manipulatives to visualize the problem.

3. What is the purpose of a transformation proof?

The purpose of a transformation proof is to provide a logical and visual justification for the congruence of two figures. It allows us to use properties of transformations, which are easier to understand and work with, to prove properties of geometric figures.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in a transformation proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a transformation proof include not following the given information, using incorrect or incomplete transformations, and not fully justifying each step of the proof. It is also important to be careful with labeling and notation, as mistakes in these areas can lead to incorrect conclusions.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tips for completing a transformation proof more efficiently?

One helpful tip for completing a transformation proof is to work backwards from the desired result. This means starting with the final figure and thinking about what transformations would need to be applied to get to that figure. It can also be helpful to look for symmetry or other patterns in the figures that may make the proof easier to complete.