Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Theoretical instantanous communicator

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    I just saw this article on cnn: http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/07/diamonds-entangled-in-physics-feat/

very interesting stuff, and it basically says that whole elements can be entangled with each other. It got me thinking about a possible quantum communicator to transmit zeroes and ones. For example, what if you were to entangle two uranium atoms with each other? I'm thinking that since the atoms would have identical vibrations, the radioactive decay timing would also be identical. By moving a dense object further and closer to these uranium atoms, you could induce a gravity field to create a slight time dilation effect, and thus impact the rate at which radioactive particles decay. the differences in timing could then be interpreted as zeroes and ones. I dont know if this is stupid or not, but let me know and explain why. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Don't take what the article is saying too literally. Entanglement cannot persist after observations have been made. Once you observe one of the pairs of the entangled particles, the entanglement is gone. It's not like in the movies where the two atoms mimic each other across vast distances.

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    I realize that, buy you're not observing the entangled particle directly in this situation. Instead you would be observing the radioactive decay. I dont know if that classifies as viewing the entangled state though.

5. Jan 26, 2012 #4
    Main stream news articles that deal with complex matters such as quantum mechanics generally don't get the whole picture. While it may be possible to "sort of" send very small information information that has to be inferred from some complex mechanism with experimental break thoughts, any information that could possibly be sent at this point in our research would have to be very weak and definitely is not ready for something as big as instantaneous communicators, even though many scientists are working on it even right now.

By experimenting there are different ways to get indirect measurements http://physicsworld.com/cws/article/news/48126

But it's not like some giant break through that revolutionizes everything, all the things we're improving on in quantum mechanics are very small steps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook