Theory of Relativity VS. Relativity to placement

In summary: There is NO center to the universe.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relativity and how it relates to our understanding and measurements of the universe. It explores the idea of a "constant" and how our observations and conclusions may be influenced by our perspective as observers. It also touches on the concept of a center to the universe and how it relates to our understanding of relativity. The conversation concludes by questioning if there are any other theories besides relativity that can explain as much as Einstein's theory without relying on the observer.
SteveDave
Being new on this site I've decided to post a question that has echoed through my head for a while now. If Einstein's Theory of Relativity literally claims that all actions and reactions are relative to the observer, then how do we as humans measure anything at all without being at any constant? We know our constant speed around the sun, and even our universe's speed around the Super Giant Black Hole that supposedly resides at the center of our Universe, but as we have these constants wouldn't that make everything we see, feel and so on only relevant to us or our planet? In other words, if I were to travel to Mars and take measurements pertaining to vast distances across the Universe but based on measurements originally obtained from Earth would the entire aspect of all equations become different, or would I need to mover further out (lets say Alpha Centauri) before anything changed? We know (thanks to relativity) that we will always appear to be the center of "The Universe" except the measurements we have made that show the Universe is expanding, but we as a species have never identified (yet) where this actual center may be. I guess what I am asking is is there any other great all encompassing theroies besides relativity that can explain as much as Einstein did without relativity to the observer?

Thanks very much,

Physics news on Phys.org
SteveDave said:
If Einstein's Theory of Relativity literally claims that all actions and reactions are relative to the observer

I'm not sure this is a good way of describing what relativity claims.

SteveDave said:
how do we as humans measure anything at all without being at any constant? We know our constant speed around the sun, and even our universe's speed around the Super Giant Black Hole that supposedly resides at the center of our Universe, but as we have these constants wouldn't that make everything we see, feel and so on only relevant to us or our planet?

If you mean the direct data we obtain, yes. If you mean the conclusions we draw from that data, combined with our scientific theories, not necessarily. We can use observations that depend on our particular state of motion to generate and test laws of physics that, as far as we can tell, apply everywhere.

SteveDave said:
In other words, if I were to travel to Mars and take measurements pertaining to vast distances across the Universe but based on measurements originally obtained from Earth would the entire aspect of all equations become different, or would I need to mover further out (lets say Alpha Centauri) before anything changed?

It would depend on what was being measured and how accurate the measurements were. We can detect some changes just from one side of the Earth to the other.

SteveDave said:
We know (thanks to relativity) that we will always appear to be the center of "The Universe"

If we choose to adopt such a coordinate system to describe our measurements, yes. But there's nothing that forces us to do this. Scientists often use coordinates that are not centered on the Earth; relativity says you can use whatever coordinates you want. It does not say you have to use coordinates centered on you.

SteveDave said:
except the measurements we have made that show the Universe is expanding, but we as a species have never identified (yet) where this actual center may be.

There is no "center" to the universe in any absolute sense.

SteveDave said:
I guess what I am asking is is there any other great all encompassing theroies besides relativity that can explain as much as Einstein did without relativity to the observer?

Not that I'm aware of.

You seem to be discussing the principle of relativity per se, rather than Einstein's theory relativity. See this extract from Galileo:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo's_ship

Einstein didn't invent relativity, he just used it, as does pretty much every physicist that I am aware of.

SteveDave said:
If Einstein's Theory of Relativity literally claims that all actions and reactions are relative to the observer, then how do we as humans measure anything at all without being at any constant?
Don't confuse "relative" with random. Relativity makes testable predictions about how our measurements relate to each other.

SteveDave said:
... our universe's speed around the Super Giant Black Hole that supposedly resides at the center of our Universe,

Whoever told you that there is a center to the universe OR that there is a black hole at the center is pulling your leg.

There is a center to your OBSERVABLE universe, and you are it (so am I, of mine) but neither of us is a black hole.

There IS a black hole at the center of the Milky Way but that's not at the center of anything other than the Milky Way

1. What is the difference between the Theory of Relativity and Relativity to placement?

The Theory of Relativity, also known as the General Theory of Relativity, is a scientific theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time and their interaction with matter and energy. It is a fundamental theory in physics and has been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments and observations. On the other hand, Relativity to placement refers to the concept that the position and motion of an object can affect its perception of time and space. This idea is based on the principles of the Theory of Relativity and is often applied in practical situations, such as GPS technology.

2. How does the Theory of Relativity apply to everyday life?

The Theory of Relativity has numerous real-world applications, such as in GPS technology, where it is used to account for the difference in time experienced by satellites in orbit compared to clocks on Earth's surface. It also plays a crucial role in modern physics, including the study of black holes, gravitational lensing, and the understanding of the expanding universe.

3. Is the Theory of Relativity still relevant today?

Yes, the Theory of Relativity remains one of the most important and influential theories in physics. Its principles have been confirmed through countless experiments and observations, and it continues to be used in various fields such as astronomy, cosmology, and engineering.

4. Are there any limitations to the Theory of Relativity?

While the Theory of Relativity has been extremely successful in explaining the behavior of the universe on a large scale, it does have its limitations. It does not fully account for the behavior of subatomic particles, and there is still ongoing research to reconcile it with quantum mechanics.

5. How can one understand the complex concepts of Relativity and its applications?

Understanding the Theory of Relativity and its applications can be challenging, but there are many resources available, such as books, online courses, and lectures, to help explain these concepts in a more accessible way. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of mathematics and physics to fully comprehend the theory.