Theory Question - Uniform Circular Motion

In summary: But the angular velocity will always stay the same as the radius increases to the point where it becomes infinite.
tahayassen
-Question Removed-

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What was your reasoning? Show how you determined that answer.

You teacher was right, the correct answer is false.

If the radius of an object in orbit increases, the speed of said object must decrease.

v=2*pi*radius/T

As the radius increases, the speed also increases.

And what about T?

It stays constant in order to maintain uniform circular motion.

tahayassen said:
v=2*pi*radius/T

As the radius increases, the speed also increases.
You assume that T is constant. Rethink that.

Doc Al said:
You assume that T is constant. Rethink that.

Shouldn't angular velocity always be constant no matter what the radius is?

tahayassen said:
It stays constant in order to maintain uniform circular motion.
No it doesn't.

Try getting back to basics. What force holds the satellite in orbit? Apply Newton's 2nd law.

tahayassen said:
Shouldn't angular velocity always be constant no matter what the radius is?
Your formula was for linear velocity, not angular velocity. And no, the angular velocity is not constant as the radius changes.

Doc Al said:
No it doesn't.

Try getting back to basics. What force holds the satellite in orbit? Apply Newton's 2nd law.

(mv^2)/r = (Gmm)/r^2

v^2 = Gm/r

I'm confused. What do I do here?

Doc Al said:
Your formula was for linear velocity, not angular velocity. And no, the angular velocity is not constant as the radius changes.

Yes, but 2PI/T is the formula for angular velocity, correct? In order to maintain uniform circular motion, how can the angular velocity not be constant?

Last edited:
tahayassen said:
(mv^2)/r = (Gmm)/r^2

v^2 = Gm/r
Excellent. Now realize that Gm = (v^2)r must be constant. That's what you need.

Yes, but 2PI/T is the formula for angular velocity, correct?
Yes.

In order to maintain uniform circular motion, how can the angular velocity not be constant?
For a given radius the angular velocity will be constant, but not if you change the radius.

tahayassen said:
edit: From this formula, I can see that as the radius increases, the velocity goes down, but this doesn't account for uniform circular motion.
Sure it does. The formulas are derived for the case of uniform circular motion.

Doc Al said:
For a given radius the angular velocity will be constant, but not if you change the radius.

Even if you change the radius, the angular velocity will stay the same.

angular velocity=2PI/T

You can change the radius as much as you'd like, but the angular velocity will stay the same.

I can see why v^2 = Gm/r would work with large bodies that involve large gravitational forces, but what if we assumed gravity is negligible? Then, I guess we can use:

v=2*PI*radius/T

And from that we can see, since angular velcoity is constant (2PI/T), as you increase the radius, the velocity also increases.

edit: Actually, it's impossible for large bodies of mass to maintain uniform circular motion after the radius is changed. If we plug in the v=2*PI*radius/T into the equation, then we can see that:

v^2 = Gm/r
4(PI^2)(r^2)/T^2 = Gm/r
4(PI^2)(r^3)/T^2 = Gm

Gm has to stay constant. 4PI^2 has to stay constant. In order to maintain uniform circular motion, T has to stay constant, therefore it is impossible to change the radius AND maintain uniform circular motion at the same time.

Last edited:
tahayassen said:
Even if you change the radius, the angular velocity will stay the same.

angular velocity=2PI/T

You can change the radius as much as you'd like, but the angular velocity will stay the same.
Why do you think this? What's your reasoning?

I can see why v^2 = Gm/r would work with large bodies that involve large gravitational forces, but what if we assumed gravity is negligible?
This is a question about satellites in orbit. You can't very well ignore gravity.

Then, I guess we can use:

v=2*PI*radius/T
You can always use that for uniform circular motion. But it doesn't tell you much.

And from that we can see, since angular velcoity is constant (2PI/T), as you increase the radius, the velocity also increases.
You merely assume that angular velocity is constant. Why?

angular velocity = 2PI/T

Because angular velocity comes from multiplying 2 times PI divided by T, the radius has no effect on the angular velocity.

Assume the radius is 5 m and the period is 10 seconds.

angular velocity 1 = 2PI/10

Assume the radius is 10 m and the period is 10 seconds.

angular velocity 2 = 2PI/10

angular velocity 1 = angular velocity 2

You can also think of it logically.

To maintain the same angular velocity, if you increase the radius of anything, it will need to cover the larger amount of arc length over the same amount of time. Therefore, the velocity must increase, to maintain the same amount of time taken.

tahayassen said:
angular velocity = 2PI/T

Because angular velocity comes from multiplying 2 times PI divided by T, the radius has no effect on the angular velocity.

Assume the radius is 5 m and the period is 10 seconds.

angular velocity 1 = 2PI/10

Assume the radius is 10 m and the period is 10 seconds.

angular velocity 2 = 2PI/10

angular velocity 1 = angular velocity 2
For a given orbital radius, the angular velocity is constant. That's what uniform circular motion means. But when you change the radius, the angular velocity changes to a new value. So you cannot assume that angular velocity remains constant for different radii.

Doc Al said:
For a given orbital radius, the angular velocity is constant. That's what uniform circular motion means. But when you change the radius, the angular velocity changes to a new value. So you cannot assume that angular velocity remains constant for different radii.

Alright, so you agree that when there is uniform circular motion, the angular velocity is constant?

tahayassen said:
You can also think of it logically.

To maintain the same angular velocity, if you increase the radius of anything, it will need to cover the larger amount of arc length over the same amount of time. Therefore, the velocity must increase, to maintain the same amount of time taken.
Sure, if angular velocity remains the same. But it doesn't!

(By the way, for uniform circular motion both angular and linear velocity are constant.)

tahayassen said:
Alright, so you agree that when there is uniform circular motion, the angular velocity is constant?
That's the definition of uniform circular motion. But all that means is that for a given radius, the velocity will be constant. (As opposed to having a changing speed.) Of course, for a satellite that constant velocity depends on the radius of the orbit!

I see the issue. The question doesn't state that the uniform circular motion is maintained nor is the angular velocity maintained. What is the significance of stating that the orbit before the radius is changed is in uniform circular motion?

Last edited:
Actually, I've change my mind (again :[).

Doc Al said:

So in other words, you are saying that linear speed is constant? But angular speed is not constant?

v = 2*PI*r/T

If linear speed is the same, then when you increase the radius, the period also increases.

tahayassen said:
So in other words, you are saying that linear speed is constant? But angular speed is not constant?

v = 2*PI*r/T

If linear speed is the same, then when you increase the radius, the period also increases.
For a given orbit (radius), both linear speed and angular speed are constant. (At least in uniform circular motion.)

Of course, if you change to a new orbit, you'll get different speeds.

Look, for uniform circular motion there must be a centripetal acceleration of [itex]\frac{v^2}{r} [/itex] which means there must be a force of [itex] m \frac{v^2}{r} [/itex] with [itex]m[/itex] being the mass of the moving body. In an orbiting satellite this force is [itex] \frac{GMm}{r^2} [/itex] with [itex]M[/itex] being the mass of the central body, which means that
[tex] v^2 = \frac{GM}{r} [/tex]

And you can see that the velocity decreases with radius, that's really all there is to this problem.

If you're still not convinced take your equation of angular velocity being [itex]\frac{2 \pi}{T} [/itex] and from (one of?) Kepler's law(s) you know that as radius increases orbit time also increases and the length of the orbital path also increases so your velocity will definitely be less at further radii.

Alright, I think I understand. This is how my teacher told me the answer was:

She assumed that centripetal acceleration stayed the same.

a1 = a2
(v1)^2/r1 = (v2)^2/r2

She said that as r2 increases, v2 must decrease. Does that method work too?

tahayassen said:
Alright, I think I understand. This is how my teacher told me the answer was:

She assumed that centripetal acceleration stayed the same.

a1 = a2
(v1)^2/r1 = (v2)^2/r2

No, that method is wrong. You cannot assume that centripetal acceleration stays the same!

The acceleration is given by F/m, where F is the force of gravity. F obviously depends on distance, so as the radius changes so does the centripetal acceleration.

The correct analysis was given in posts #11 and #12.

More on this:
tahayassen said:
a1 = a2
(v1)^2/r1 = (v2)^2/r2

If that equation were true it would imply that as r increased so must v. Just the opposite of what she said.

What is uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This means that the object covers the same distance in the same amount of time, and its velocity remains constant throughout the motion.

What is the difference between uniform circular motion and simple harmonic motion?

The main difference between uniform circular motion and simple harmonic motion is the type of path the object follows. In uniform circular motion, the object moves along a circular path, while in simple harmonic motion, the object moves back and forth along a straight line.

What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration in uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the velocity and acceleration of the object are always perpendicular to each other. This means that the magnitude of the acceleration remains constant, but its direction changes as the object moves along the circular path. The velocity, on the other hand, remains constant in magnitude and direction.

How is centripetal force related to uniform circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force required to keep an object moving in a circular path. In uniform circular motion, the centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration.

What are some real-life examples of uniform circular motion?

Some common examples of uniform circular motion include a satellite orbiting the Earth, a car moving around a roundabout, and a spinning top. Any object that moves along a circular path at a constant speed can be considered an example of uniform circular motion.