Computing Thermal Average for a Free Real Scalar Field

E_{\vec{p}}}= \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3}p}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \dfrac{1}{\mathrm{e}^{\beta E_{\vec{p}}} -1} (2 \pi)^{3} \delta^{3}(\vec{p} - \vec{q})= \dfrac{1}{\mathrm{e}^{\beta E_{\vec{q}}} -1}Note that we have used the commutation relation given in the conversation to simplify the expression. Now, substituting this value of Z in the equation for the thermal average, we get:\left \
parton

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Hi!

I read a book where a free real scalar field with Hamiltonian

[tex] H = \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3}p}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \, E_{\vec{p}} a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{p}} [/tex]

is beeing discussed.

Note that:

[tex] E_{\vec{p}} = \sqrt{\vert \vec{p} \vert^{2} + m^{2}} [/tex]

and

[tex] \left[ a_{\vec{p}}, a_{\vec{q}}^{\dagger} \right] = (2 \pi)^{3} \delta^{3}(\vec{p} - \vec{q}) [/tex].

Now there is the statement that the thermal average of the operator
[tex] a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{q}} [/tex] is given by:

[tex] \left \langle a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{q}} \right \rangle = \dfrac{1}{Tr \left[ \mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} \right]} Tr\left[\mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{q}} \right] = \dfrac{1}{\mathrm{e}^{\beta E_{\vec{p}}} -1} (2 \pi)^{3} \delta^{3}(\vec{p} - \vec{q}) [/tex]

I don't know how to obtain this average value.

The Attempt at a Solution

When I first start to compute [tex] Tr \left[ \mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} \right] [/tex] I end up with an ill-defined expression:

[tex] Tr \left[ \mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} \right] = \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3} k}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \left \langle \vec{k} \right| \mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} \left| \vec{k} \right \rangle = \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3} k}{(2 \pi)^{3}} (2 \pi)^{3} \delta^{3}(0) [/tex]

where I used

[tex] H \left| \vec{k} \right \rangle = \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3} k}{(2 \pi)^{3}} E_{\vec{p}} a_{p}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{p}} a_{\vec{k}}^{\dagger} \vert 0 \rangle = \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3} k}{(2 \pi)^{3}}

E_{\vec{p}} \delta^{3}(\vec{p} - \vec{k}) (2 \pi)^{3} \vert \vec{p} \rangle = E_{\vec{k}} \vert \vec{k} \rangle [/tex]

I think the problem is that I used momentum states as eigenstates of the Hamiltonian, but they are not normalizable.

Does anyone have an idea how to compute this thermal average?

(If I have the simple Hamiltonian [tex] H = \omega a^{\dagger} a [/tex] and consider a complete set of eigenstates |n> it is very easy to compute this average. But in the case described above I don't know how to do that).

I hope someone can help me.

Note:

The same problem is also described here (page 5, eq. (3.10))
http://www.actaphys.uj.edu.pl/vol38/pdf/v38p3661.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your question and for seeking help in understanding this concept. It seems like you are struggling with computing the thermal average of an operator in the context of a free real scalar field with a given Hamiltonian. I will try my best to explain the steps to obtain this average value.

First, let's start with the definition of the thermal average of an operator A in a system with a given Hamiltonian H:

\left \langle A \right \rangle = \dfrac{1}{Z} Tr\left[\mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} A \right]

where Z is the partition function given by:

Z = Tr\left[ \mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} \right]

Now, in your case, the operator A is given by:

a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{q}}

Substituting this in the above equation, we get:

\left \langle a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{q}} \right \rangle = \dfrac{1}{Z} Tr\left[\mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{q}} \right]

Next, let's focus on computing the partition function Z. We can expand it as follows:

Z = Tr\left[ \mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} \right] = \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3}p}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \left \langle \vec{p} \right| \mathrm{e}^{-\beta H} \left| \vec{p} \right \rangle

= \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3}p}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \left \langle \vec{p} \right| \mathrm{e}^{-\beta \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3}p}{(2 \pi)^{3}} E_{\vec{p}} a_{\vec{p}}^{\dagger} a_{\vec{p}} } \left| \vec{p} \right \rangle

= \int \dfrac{\mathrm{d}^{3}p}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \mathrm{e

1. What is a free real scalar field in computing thermal average?

A free real scalar field is a theoretical concept in physics and mathematics that describes a field with no interactions or forces acting upon it. It is used in thermal average calculations to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve.

2. How is the thermal average for a free real scalar field calculated?

The thermal average for a free real scalar field is calculated using the partition function, which takes into account all possible states and energies of the field. This is then used to calculate the average energy of the field at a given temperature.

3. What is the significance of computing thermal average for a free real scalar field?

Computing thermal average for a free real scalar field is important in many areas of physics, including statistical mechanics and quantum field theory. It allows for the prediction of the behavior of a system at thermal equilibrium, which is essential for understanding various physical phenomena.

4. Can the thermal average for a free real scalar field be applied to real-world systems?

While the concept of a free real scalar field is a theoretical construct, the calculations and principles used to compute its thermal average can be applied to many real-world systems. This includes understanding the behavior of gases, solids, and other materials at thermal equilibrium.

5. What are some common applications of computing thermal average for a free real scalar field?

The thermal average for a free real scalar field has many practical applications, such as in the study of phase transitions, critical phenomena, and black holes. It is also used in the development of new materials and technologies, such as in the design of thermoelectric devices.