Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal conductivity - doped silicon

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    I 'trying to find the thermal conductivity of a silicon substrate doped with boron with known dopant concentration. Is there any way to calculate it or it has to be measured.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may already know this, but the thermal conductivity of single crystal silicon at normal temperatures is only weakly dependent on doping. The dependence is probably less than the measurement error (I typically see values ranging from 149-157 W/m-K). How precise an answer do you need?

4. Jun 19, 2008 #3
    I want to know the conductivity of doped silicon with boron at room temperature. An estimation would be wright too. I have to different concentrations of boron, one of 8e18 (cm-3) and one of 1,2e15 (cm-3).
    Thanks in advance

5. Jun 19, 2008 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

According to the calculations here (which you may or may not believe), the thermal conductivity at 22°C is 147 W/m-K, and the variation due to boron doping is negligible (<1 W/m-K). This agrees with the idea that electronic thermal conductivity is small compared to lattice thermal conductivity in single crystal silicon around room temperature.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?