1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Conductivity in Supercritical Fluids

1. Sep 7, 2010 #1
    Hi there,

Please, I would like to know if the Thermal Conductivity of a liquefied gas increases or decreases when becomes a supercritical fluid.

Also, I would like to know how is the relation between the molecular mass and thermal conductivity of a liquefied gas and a supercritical fluid, because in the gaseous phase, as higher the molecular mass, smaller seems to be the thermal conductivity value. Per example in gaseous phase:

Helium
    Molecular weight : 4.0026 g/mol
    Thermal conductivity (1.013 bar and 0 °C (32 °F)) : 142.64 mW/(m.K)

Methane
    Molecular weight : 16.043 g/mol
    Thermal conductivity (1.013 bar and 0 °C (32 °F)) : 32.81mW/(m.K)

Hexafluoroethane - R116
    Molecular weight : 138.02 g/mol
    Thermal conductivity (1.013 bar and 0 °C (32 °F)) : 13.47mW/(m.K)

Is it the same for supercritical fluids?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercritical_fluid

Thanks a lot.

PS - This is not a homework question, is part of a personal and independent research. I hardly tried to find the answer, but I could not. I did not ask about it in the Chemical Forum because I consider it not a formulation problem, but a question about the characteristics of the state of the matter. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted