Thermal Dynamics Homework: Calculate \Delta V_{Hg}

In summary, the problem is to calculate the change in volume of mercury when a glass flask is filled with it at a temperature of 0.00*10^0 Celsius and then both are warmed to a temperature of 52 Celsius. The coefficient of volume expansion of mercury is given as 1.80*10^{-4}K. The solution involves using the equations \Delta T = T_f - T_i and \Delta V = \beta V_o \Delta T, and the correct answer is 7.8 cm^3.
Abarak

Homework Statement

A glass flask whose volume is [tex]1000cm^{3}[/tex] at a temperature of [tex]0.00*10^0[/tex] Celsius is completely filled with mercury at the same temperature. When the flask and mercury are warmed together to a temperature of 52 Celsius, a volume of [tex]8.35cm^{3}[/tex] of mercury overflows the flask.

the coefficient of volume expansion of mercury is [tex]\beta_{Hg} = 1.80*10^{-4}[/tex]K

Problem:
Calculate the change in volume of the mercury [tex]\Delta V_{Hg}[/tex] during heating.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta T = T_f - T_i[/tex]
[tex]\Delta V = \beta V_o \Delta T[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta T = 325.15K - 273.15K[/tex]
[tex]\Delta T = 52K[/tex]

[tex]\Delta V_{Hg} = (1.80*10^{-4})(1000)(52)[/tex]
[tex]\Delta V_{Hg} = 7.8 cm^3[/tex]

I think I am doing this right but the program keeps saying it's wrong.

Any ideas?

-- Abarak

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I calculated the last equation wrong.

Thanks anyways!

-- Abarak

Your solution seems correct. It is possible that the program is expecting the answer in a different unit, such as m^3 instead of cm^3. Double check the expected units and make sure you are using the correct conversion factors. Additionally, make sure you are using the correct value for the coefficient of volume expansion for mercury. If the program is still giving an incorrect answer, it may be a technical issue with the program itself. You can try reaching out to the instructor or TA for clarification or assistance.

Related to Thermal Dynamics Homework: Calculate \Delta V_{Hg}

1. What is Thermal Dynamics?

Thermal Dynamics is the study of how heat and energy transfer in a system, and how this affects the system's properties and behavior.

2. What does \Delta V_{Hg} represent?

\Delta V_{Hg} represents the change in volume of mercury due to a change in temperature.

3. How do you calculate \Delta V_{Hg}?

To calculate \Delta V_{Hg}, you will need the coefficient of thermal expansion of mercury, the initial volume of mercury, and the change in temperature. Multiply the coefficient of thermal expansion by the initial volume and the change in temperature to get \Delta V_{Hg}.

4. What is the coefficient of thermal expansion?

The coefficient of thermal expansion is a measure of how much a substance expands or contracts when heated or cooled. It is usually denoted by the symbol \alpha and has units of K^-1 or C^-1.

5. Why is it important to calculate \Delta V_{Hg}?

\Delta V_{Hg} is important because it helps us understand how mercury will behave and change in response to temperature changes. This information is useful in various fields such as engineering, materials science, and thermodynamics.