Thermal expansion/contraction of lens

In summary, the optical lens is expanding and contracting in radial direction due to temperature variation. A strain gauge is needed to measure the expansion/contraction. There are concerns about lot-to-lot variability, so a non-contact measurement method is preferred. There are no references on internet.
deepak.midri
Application:
to measure the thermal strain of optical lens. Due to temperature variation the lens surface is expanding / contracting in radial direction with two extreme operating temperature. (-40C to +70C )
Optical lens is SF56A (CTE - 7.9*e-6 per Kelvin)

What to do:
I need to measure this expansion/contraction of lens. I think I can do that by strain gauge. But I was looking for some earlier references on internet as bonding on gauge is very tricky. Even a small scratch on lens can deteriorate its performance. So I need to very careful while bonding gauge on it.

Questions:
1. Anyone have previous exp/suggestion on how to bond the gauge & its placement.
2. Any references on internet.

Science news on Phys.org
Hi deepak.midri. I see you're new here, so http://imageshack.com/a/img515/4884/welcomesign.gif

I can't offer advice on strain gauges. But if you could fix to the lens a tiny mirror (or simply use a reflection off the already polished surface), you might be able to use optical magnification to determine movement of the surface. Arrange it so that a laser beam bounced at an angle off the surface will make a wide sweep across the wall of the room for a tiny movement of the mirror.

Last edited by a moderator:
deepak.midri said:
Application:
to measure the thermal strain of optical lens. Due to temperature variation the lens surface is expanding / contracting in radial direction with two extreme operating temperature. (-40C to +70C )
Optical lens is SF56A (CTE - 7.9*e-6 per Kelvin)

What to do:
I need to measure this expansion/contraction of lens. I think I can do that by strain gauge. But I was looking for some earlier references on internet as bonding on gauge is very tricky. Even a small scratch on lens can deteriorate its performance. So I need to very careful while bonding gauge on it.

Questions:
1. Anyone have previous exp/suggestion on how to bond the gauge & its placement.
2. Any references on internet.

I'm a little confused. First, since you know what the glass is and have a CTE, why do you need to measure the CTE? Are you concerned about lot-to-lot variability? Second, why do you have to use a strain gauge? I can think of a few alternate methods (for example, I expect an interferometric measurement to be much more sensitive).

I agree using a strain gauge is a bad idea. How are you going to allow for the thermal expansion of the gauge itself, and whatever material you use to bond it to the lens?

A non-contact measurement method seems more appropriate.

Hi,

I need to measure the expansion/contraction of lens only. Since sometimes lens develop crack as it is holded in a Aluminium assembly. So when both expand/contract lens develop a crack in it.
I need to measure at what expansion/contraction of lens/housing this happen.

1. I am facing trouble regarding strain gauge method. Since pasting is problem. moreover it may develop a crack.

2. What about interferometric method. Is there any special method for such type of application

What is thermal expansion/contraction of lens?

Thermal expansion/contraction of lens refers to the change in size and shape of a lens due to changes in temperature. As the temperature of a lens increases, it expands in size, while it contracts in size when the temperature decreases. This phenomenon is caused by the movement of molecules within the lens structure.

How does thermal expansion/contraction affect the performance of a lens?

The change in size and shape of a lens due to thermal expansion/contraction can cause changes in its focal length, curvature, and refractive index. This can result in image distortion and affect the overall performance of the lens. Therefore, it is important to consider thermal expansion/contraction when designing and using lenses.

What materials are commonly used in lenses to minimize thermal expansion/contraction?

In order to minimize the effect of thermal expansion/contraction on the performance of lenses, materials with low coefficients of thermal expansion are often used. These include glasses such as borosilicate, fused silica, and zero-expansion glasses, as well as plastics such as polycarbonate and acrylic.

Can thermal expansion/contraction be compensated for in lens design?

Yes, thermal expansion/contraction can be compensated for in lens design by using a combination of materials with different coefficients of expansion. By carefully selecting and arranging these materials, the overall change in size and shape due to temperature can be minimized, resulting in improved performance of the lens.

Are there any other factors that can affect thermal expansion/contraction of lenses?

Yes, besides temperature, other factors such as humidity, pressure, and mechanical stress can also affect the thermal expansion/contraction of lenses. These factors should also be taken into consideration during the design and use of lenses to ensure optimal performance.