Thermal expansion/contraction of lens

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter deepak.midri
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lens Optics Thermal
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
deepak.midri
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Application:
to measure the thermal strain of optical lens. Due to temperature variation the lens surface is expanding / contracting in radial direction with two extreme operating temperature. (-40C to +70C )
Optical lens is SF56A (CTE - 7.9*e-6 per Kelvin)

What to do:
I need to measure this expansion/contraction of lens. I think I can do that by strain gauge. But I was looking for some earlier references on internet as bonding on gauge is very tricky. Even a small scratch on lens can deteriorate its performance. So I need to very careful while bonding gauge on it.

Questions:
1. Anyone have previous exp/suggestion on how to bond the gauge & its placement.
2. Any references on internet.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi deepak.midri. I see you're new here, so http://imageshack.com/a/img515/4884/welcomesign.gif

I can't offer advice on strain gauges. But if you could fix to the lens a tiny mirror (or simply use a reflection off the already polished surface), you might be able to use optical magnification to determine movement of the surface. Arrange it so that a laser beam bounced at an angle off the surface will make a wide sweep across the wall of the room for a tiny movement of the mirror.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
deepak.midri said:
Application:
to measure the thermal strain of optical lens. Due to temperature variation the lens surface is expanding / contracting in radial direction with two extreme operating temperature. (-40C to +70C )
Optical lens is SF56A (CTE - 7.9*e-6 per Kelvin)

What to do:
I need to measure this expansion/contraction of lens. I think I can do that by strain gauge. But I was looking for some earlier references on internet as bonding on gauge is very tricky. Even a small scratch on lens can deteriorate its performance. So I need to very careful while bonding gauge on it.

Questions:
1. Anyone have previous exp/suggestion on how to bond the gauge & its placement.
2. Any references on internet.

I'm a little confused. First, since you know what the glass is and have a CTE, why do you need to measure the CTE? Are you concerned about lot-to-lot variability? Second, why do you have to use a strain gauge? I can think of a few alternate methods (for example, I expect an interferometric measurement to be much more sensitive).
 
I agree using a strain gauge is a bad idea. How are you going to allow for the thermal expansion of the gauge itself, and whatever material you use to bond it to the lens?

A non-contact measurement method seems more appropriate.
 
Hi,

I need to measure the expansion/contraction of lens only. Since sometimes lens develop crack as it is holded in a Aluminium assembly. So when both expand/contract lens develop a crack in it.
I need to measure at what expansion/contraction of lens/housing this happen.

1. I am facing trouble regarding strain gauge method. Since pasting is problem. moreover it may develop a crack.

2. What about interferometric method. Is there any special method for such type of application