1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal expansion/contraction of lens

Tags:
  1. Sep 15, 2014 #1
    Application:
    to measure the thermal strain of optical lens. Due to temperature variation the lens surface is expanding / contracting in radial direction with two extreme operating temperature. (-40C to +70C )
    Optical lens is SF56A (CTE - 7.9*e-6 per Kelvin)

What to do:
    I need to measure this expansion/contraction of lens. I think I can do that by strain gauge. But I was looking for some earlier references on internet as bonding on gauge is very tricky. Even a small scratch on lens can deteriorate its performance. So I need to very careful while bonding gauge on it.

Questions:
    1. Anyone have previous exp/suggestion on how to bond the gauge & its placement.
    2. Any references on internet.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2014 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi deepak.midri. I see you're new here, so http://imageshack.com/a/img515/4884/welcomesign.gif [Broken]

I can't offer advice on strain gauges. But if you could fix to the lens a tiny mirror (or simply use a reflection off the already polished surface), you might be able to use optical magnification to determine movement of the surface. Arrange it so that a laser beam bounced at an angle off the surface will make a wide sweep across the wall of the room for a tiny movement of the mirror.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 15, 2014 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm a little confused. First, since you know what the glass is and have a CTE, why do you need to measure the CTE? Are you concerned about lot-to-lot variability? Second, why do you have to use a strain gauge? I can think of a few alternate methods (for example, I expect an interferometric measurement to be much more sensitive).

5. Sep 15, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree using a strain gauge is a bad idea. How are you going to allow for the thermal expansion of the gauge itself, and whatever material you use to bond it to the lens?

A non-contact measurement method seems more appropriate.

6. Sep 16, 2014 #5
    Hi,

I need to measure the expansion/contraction of lens only. Since sometimes lens develop crack as it is holded in a Aluminium assembly. So when both expand/contract lens develop a crack in it.
    I need to measure at what expansion/contraction of lens/housing this happen.

1. I am facing trouble regarding strain gauge method. Since pasting is problem. moreover it may develop a crack.

2. What about interferometric method. Is there any special method for such type of application

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook