What's wrong with my math?[Thermal volume expansion]

In summary: I think I would have to calculate it myself :/I'm pretty sure that the... the... the volume of the pyrex jug would only increase by a tiny amount because the beaker expands in all directions. I think I would have to calculate it myself :/
Kuzon

Homework Statement

7y85ZYc.png

Homework Equations

Coefficient of water expansion for volume given by the textbook is 207 x 10^-6

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I did 80.4*0.000207*0.000369 = 0.00000614119 m^3

Physics news on Phys.org
Kuzon said:

Homework Statement

7y85ZYc.png

Homework Equations

Coefficient of water expansion for volume given by the textbook is 207 x 10^-6

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I did 80.4*0.000207*0.000369 = 0.00000614119 m^3
Your response was flagged probably because you didn't use the right number of significant figures in your answer.

SteamKing said:
Your response was flagged probably because you didn't use the right number of significant figures in your answer.

No the website does not care about rounding, there is just a +/- 2% tolerance on the right answer. Can you see anything wrong with the math?

Kuzon said:
No the website does not care about rounding, there is just a +/- 2% tolerance on the right answer. Can you see anything wrong with the math?
Rounding and significant figures are not the same. Your math appears to be correct; your answer is too precise given the precision of the data.

SteamKing said:
Rounding and significant figures are not the same. Your math appears to be correct; your answer is too precise given the precision of the data.
Yes but that doesn't matter is what I mean. All they mark on is that it's within the +/- 2% tolerance range of the correct answer. You could have a million 5s after your correct answer for all they care. Thanks for checking my math though, I don't know what's wrong - maybe the wrong coefficient of volume expansion for water? Apparently it changes depending on what temperature water is at?

The Pyrex beaker expands, too. You can find its thermal expansion coefficient here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass. It does not change the result much, but your solution in, principle, is not correct, . The expansion coefficient of water also changes with the temperature, but I do not think you are supposed to take it into account. Otherwise it should have been given.

ehild said:
The Pyrex beaker expands, too. You can find its thermal expansion coefficient here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass. It does not change the result much, but your solution in, principle, is not correct, . The expansion coefficient of water also changes with the temperature, but I do not think you are supposed to take it into account. Otherwise it should have been given.

I have no idea how to work out the answer if the pyrex beaker expands also though :/

You might need to incorporate the expansion of the Pyrex beaker due to the increase in temperature.

IDK if your text has a value for the expansion of Pyrex glass, but the linear coefficient α = 3.2 × 10-6 K-1 @ 20° C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion
Kuzon said:
I have no idea how to work out the answer if the pyrex beaker expands also though :/
Why not? When the Pyrex beaker expands, its volume increases slightly, but not as much as that of the coffee inside. The volume increase of the coffee doesn't depend on how much the beaker expands, but the amount of coffee spilled will be affected.

SteamKing said:
You might need to incorporate the expansion of the Pyrex beaker due to the increase in temperature.

IDK if your text has a value for the expansion of Pyrex glass, but the linear coefficient α = 3.2 × 10-6 K-1 @ 20° C

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_expansion

Why not? When the Pyrex beaker expands, its volume increases slightly, but not as much as that of the coffee inside. The volume increase of the coffee doesn't depend on how much the beaker expands, but the amount of coffee spilled will be affected.
So I see the values it gives for pyrex are 3.3*10^-6 for linear and 9.9*10^-6 for volume. But how do I calculate how much the volume of the pyrex jug changes because it's hollow? I'm not sure how I would calculate it :/ could you please help me?

Kuzon said:
So I see the values it gives for pyrex are 3.3*10^-6 for linear and 9.9*10^-6 for volume. But how do I calculate how much the volume of the pyrex jug changes because it's hollow? I'm not sure how I would calculate it :/ could you please help me?
Assuming the Pyrex expands linearly in all directions, what do you think the increase in volume of the cavity would be?
But as @ehild says, it will make very little difference to the answer. Did you read my post #7?

haruspex said:
Assuming the Pyrex expands linearly in all directions, what do you think the increase in volume of the cavity would be?
But as @ehild says, it will make very little difference to the answer. Did you read my post #7?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the coefficient I used is correct though, the pyrex thingy seems to be all I need to add to my math to fix it. But I still have no idea what the answer will be if the jug expands linearly... Can you help me on the calculations?

Kuzon said:
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the coefficient I used is correct though, the pyrex thingy seems to be all I need to add to my math to fix it. But I still have no idea what the answer will be if the jug expands linearly... Can you help me on the calculations?
Imagine a solid cylinder of Pyrex with the same outside dimensions as the beaker. You know what that would expand to. Now think of that solid cylinder as the beaker filled with a solid cylinder of Pyrex. That would expand exactly the same right? And you would not expect a gap to open up between cylinder and beaker (or the solid cylinder would have split under internal stresses). So...

The end difference to your answer should be about 5%.

Likes Kuzon
haruspex said:
Imagine a solid cylinder of Pyrex with the same outside dimensions as the beaker. You know what that would expand to. Now think of that solid cylinder as the beaker filled with a solid cylinder of Pyrex. That would expand exactly the same right? And you would not expect a gap to open up between cylinder and beaker (or the solid cylinder would have split under internal stresses). So...

I still don't understand sorry, is there any chance you could you tell me how to solve it?

Kuzon said:
I still don't understand sorry, is there any chance you could you tell me how to solve it?
To make it a little simpler, consider two solid spheres of radii r and r+dr. If heated to the same extent, you'd expect their volumes to increase in the same ratio, right? Now think of the larger sphere as consisting of a sphere of radius r surrounded by a shell of thickness dr. By what ratio has the space inside the shell increased? Is it different from the ratios by which the solid spheres increased?

Last edited:
haruspex said:

I got it thanks! You just treat the pyrex jug as if it's solid and solve for the change in volume! It doesn't change if it's hollow.

Kuzon said:
I got it thanks! You just treat the pyrex jug as if it's solid and solve for the change in volume! It doesn't change if it's hollow.
Right.

1. Why does thermal volume expansion occur in math?

Thermal volume expansion occurs in math because of the relationship between temperature and volume. When an object is heated, its particles begin to vibrate more vigorously, causing the object to expand in volume. This is known as thermal expansion.

2. How does thermal volume expansion affect mathematical calculations?

Thermal volume expansion can affect mathematical calculations by changing the values of variables that involve volume, such as density or pressure. It is important to account for thermal expansion in mathematical calculations to ensure their accuracy.

3. What are some real-life examples of thermal volume expansion in math?

Some real-life examples of thermal volume expansion in math include measuring the volume of a liquid in a thermometer, calculating the change in volume of a gas in a hot air balloon, and determining the volume of a metal container when heated.

4. Can thermal volume expansion be controlled or prevented in math?

Thermal volume expansion cannot be completely prevented, but it can be controlled through the use of materials with low thermal expansion coefficients or by using compensating materials in a system. In mathematical calculations, thermal expansion can be accounted for by using appropriate formulas and values.

5. How does thermal volume expansion differ from other types of expansion in math?

Thermal volume expansion is a specific type of expansion that occurs due to changes in temperature, whereas other types of expansion, such as linear or area expansion, occur due to changes in other variables. Thermal expansion is also unique in that it affects the volume of a material, rather than just its length or area.