Calculating Thermal Expansion of Water: Is the Formula Correct?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the thermal expansion of water, with the initial formula being ΔV = βV0ΛT. However, the expected result of a 4% increase from 20°C to 100°C is not achieved using the given coefficient of 0.000214. The group discusses using the coefficient of the base temperature, and Nidum provides helpful links and suggests using tabular data to estimate the increase. Chestermiller confirms this method and suggests using a more accurate equation with a dummy variable to integrate.
de_Sitter
Hello,

I'm trying to determine a way of calculating the thermal expansion of a volume of water. The formula I have come across is:

ΔV = βV0ΛT

The general consensus seems to be that water expands roughly 4% from 20°C to 100°C, or 4.2% from 4°C to 100°C (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-thermal-properties-d_162.html). Using β = 0.000214 as found on (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/cubical-expansion-coefficients-d_1262.html) the result of this formula is not around the expected 4% from 20 - 100°C. e.g. 25L gives ≈ 0.43 L increase.

Am I using the formula correctly? Some rudimentary examples use β as a constant, while others remark that β varies with temperature, but don't provide examples of using this in practice. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Science news on Phys.org
CRC Hndbk. tables of density of water. Definitely not constant for water.

The coefficient of volume expansion varies with temperature. The equation is only supposed to apply in the vicinity of the base temperature. In your case, the coefficient is for around 20 C.

Chet

Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. I'm a little unconvinced that using the coefficient of the base temperature is correct. Using 25L from 20 to 100°C with coefficient 0.000207 as per (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html) I get ΔV = 1.9715 L, which is around a 7.8% increase, rather than the expected 4%, as given on (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-thermal-properties-d_162.html). Does anyone have an example of how they would model this increase?

To do it over a larger temperature range, you would have to know the thermal expansion coefficient as a function of temperature, and you would have to integrate.

de_Sitter said:
Hello,

Thank you both for your replies. I'm a little unconvinced that using the coefficient of the base temperature is correct. Using 25L from 20 to 100°C with coefficient 0.000207 as per (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/volumetric-temperature-expansion-d_315.html) I get ΔV = 1.9715 L, which is around a 7.8% increase, rather than the expected 4%, as given on (http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/water-thermal-properties-d_162.html). Does anyone have an example of how they would model this increase?
You don't get that value for that coefficient of thermal expansion assumed constant over the temperature range. What you get is around 0.4 L or about 1.6%.
But you have a table with the variation of the coefficient with temperature right there. You can see that it increases with the temperature so it will be reasonable to get 4% over the whole range.
You can do an estimate by using these values.

Thank you all for your assistance. I'm a little rusty on my calculus, but Nidum's links are perfect for my purposes.

Thanks again!

So just to confirm I'm doing it right Chestermiller. I've fitted a curve to the data points given in some of the tables I linked earlier, which gives β(T). I then find the definite integral of this function over the temperature range (e.g 20°-100°C), then multiply by the initial volume?

ΔV = ∫[β(T)] dT ⋅ Vo , with 20° and 100° as the limits of integration

Last edited:
de_Sitter said:
So just to confirm I'm doing it right Chestermiller. I've fitted a curve to the data points given in some of the tables I linked earlier, which gives β(T). I then find the definite integral of this function over the temperature range (e.g 20°-100°C), then multiply by the initial volume?

ΔV = ∫[β(T)] dT ⋅ Vo , with 20° and 100° as the limits of integration
Basically correct for a small temperature change, but I would do it a little differently. The exact equation is:

$$\frac{1}{V}\frac{dV}{dT}=β(T)$$

So, integrating this equation, I get:

$$V=V_0e^{\int_{T_0}^T{β(T')dT'}}$$

where T' is a dummy variable of integration. This equation will give a more accurate result.

Chet

Thanks Chet, I'm not quite familiar with this dummy variable concept, but I'll do some reading. Thanks for the input.

What is thermal expansion of water?

Thermal expansion of water refers to the increase in volume of water as its temperature increases. This phenomenon occurs due to the movement of water molecules, which causes them to take up more space when heated.

Why does water expand when heated?

Water expands when heated because the molecules that make up water have more energy and are moving faster. This increased movement causes the molecules to take up more space, resulting in an expansion of volume.

How does thermal expansion of water affect objects placed in it?

Objects placed in water will also experience thermal expansion as the water around them heats up. This can potentially cause the objects to expand and possibly even break if they are not able to withstand the increased pressure.

What is the coefficient of thermal expansion for water?

The coefficient of thermal expansion for water is approximately 0.00021 per degree Celsius. This means that for every 1 degree Celsius increase in temperature, water will expand by 0.00021 times its original volume.

Are there any practical applications of thermal expansion of water?

Yes, there are many practical applications of thermal expansion of water. One common example is the use of expansion joints in plumbing systems to accommodate for the expansion of water when heated. This prevents pipes from bursting due to increased pressure. Additionally, the expansion of water is used in thermometers to measure temperature changes.