1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Management Question in Spacecraft

1. Jul 28, 2015 #1
    Hello guys,

Below I am presenting a question related to thermal management in spacecraft. Perhaps many of you might find it interesting! And this could be a real-life problem for thermal engineering in a spacecraft. So, the question is following:

An instrument dissipates 10W and, in order for its detector to operate effectively, must be kept below -20°C. Its baseplate has a contact area of 175mm by 125mm and is bolted to a radiator with a chotherm interface. If the spacecraft is orbiting Mars (at a sun distance of 1.5 AU) and the radiator is facing the planet, estimate the size of radiator required. Assume the following :
    • Albedo of Mars is 0.29 and its temperature is -60°C. The solar constant is
    1369 W/m2
    • The interface conductance between the unit and the radiator is 250 W/(m^2)*K
    • Emissivity of the radiator is 0.8, absorptivity is 0.08

Also, An uncertainty margin of 10°C is to be used!

I found out the size of the radiator should be about 0.105 m^2.
    What about yours? I would appreciate your help here. Thanks in advance.

Regards
    TK

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2015 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook