Thermal Physics: 2 Cases, Ratio V(1)/V(2) for Small T

In summary, the question is about finding the ratio of volumes for two ideal gases, one consisting of fermions and the other consisting of bosons, at very low temperatures. The pressure for an ideal quantum gas at low temperatures cannot be calculated using PV = NkT. For the case of a Fermi gas, the pressure is a nonzero constant and for a Bose gas, a maximum density exists for particles not in the condensate. It is necessary to derive an expression for the pressure in both cases before attempting to solve the problem.
Fys
I had a question about 2 cases

we have a cilinder with 2 Ideal Gases. The volume, mass and the number of particles
is given. So We call it V(1),M(1),N(1) for the first gas and V(2),M(2),N(2) for
the second gas. The two gases are separated by a movable wall

Now what is the Ratio V(1)/V(2) for very small T (almost zero) if

1. both gases consist of fermions
2.the first gas consist of bosons and the other one form fermions

I thought for the both cases I use PV=NKT. And so express V in the other quantities.
Then use the fermi distribution and the bose-distribution. But using this I get all kinds of quantities which I don't have.
Can someone help me with this?

thanks for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
You cannot use PV = NkT for an ideal quantum gas at low temperatures.

In case of the Fermi gas, you know that in the linit of zero temperature, the pressure becomes a nonzero constant. It is given by minus the derivative of the total ground state energy w.r.t. volume.

If you don't exactly remember how this is computed, you should first study this before attempting to solve this problem.

In case of the Bose gas, you know that a macroscopic fraction of the molecules will be in the ground state below the critical temperature for Bose-Einstein condensation. There is a maximum density for the particles that are not in the condensate.

You should first derive an expression for the pressure for the Bose gas from first principles before proceeding with this case.

What is Thermal Physics?

Thermal physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties of matter and energy in relation to temperature and heat. It deals with the microscopic behavior of individual particles and how they interact with each other to produce macroscopic phenomena.

What are the two cases in Thermal Physics?

The two cases in Thermal Physics refer to different scenarios in which the ratio V(1)/V(2) for small T is calculated. The first case involves a gas with constant volume and changing temperature, while the second case involves a gas with constant temperature and changing volume.

What is the significance of the ratio V(1)/V(2) for small T?

The ratio V(1)/V(2) for small T is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between volume and temperature in a gas. It is a measure of the change in volume of a gas as its temperature changes, and can be used to calculate other properties such as pressure and energy.

How can the ratio V(1)/V(2) for small T be calculated?

The ratio V(1)/V(2) for small T can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the product of temperature and number of moles of gas. This law can be rearranged to find the ratio V(1)/V(2) for small T.

What are some real-world applications of Thermal Physics?

Thermal Physics has numerous real-world applications, including refrigeration and air conditioning systems, power plants, and engines. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the Earth's climate and weather patterns. In addition, Thermal Physics is essential in the development of new materials and technologies, such as thermoelectric devices and insulation materials.