Thermal radiation inside a cooler

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a foil liner in packaging to keep the contents cool. The equation used takes into account the emissivity of the material, the temperature inside and outside the package, and the surface area. The effectiveness of the foil liner is affected by factors such as the presence of insulation and exposure to sunlight. The discussion also mentions alternative methods such as using multiple layers of foil or incorporating a vacuum layer for better insulation. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the importance of considering both conduction and radiation in creating a mathematical model for packaging effectiveness.
pks
I am trying to calculate how much a foil liner helps keep the inside of a package cool. I have calculated the rate of conduction but am now concerned with radiation.
stef3.gif

Above is the equation I am using. The emissivity for the material is 0.05, the area is 1 m^2, the outside air temp is 295 degree K, the air temp inside the package is 280 degrees K. This gives a value of 4 watts. Is using the air temp an over simplification or should I be using the outside surface temp of the package? I am trying to create a mathematical model that is as close as possible. Is there anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Your calculation is reasonably good. Is it simply a single layer of foil, or do you have a layer of insulation right below that? If the outside temperature of the foil liner (which is the number you put in for ## T_C ##) is at a temperature closer to 295 K, rather than at 280 K, it would aid considerably in keeping the inside cool, both from a radiation standpoint, as well as from thermal conduction. Meanwhile, I presume the package is not sitting in direct sunlight. Even some indirect sunlight could cause the numbers to go up.

I am testing several different materials like foam and bubble wrap with a foil coating. The foil will face outward toward the heat so it should be warmer. The package in testing won't be in direct sunlight but in real world it will at times. So there's nothing else to consider besides conduction and radiation then? Thanks for your response.

Based on your title it sounds like you want to wrap something that is already in a cooler with foil. In that case, the temperature difference is approximately zero and the radiation therefore also approximately zero.

Likes Charles Link
russ_watters said:
Based on your title it sounds like you want to wrap something that is already in a cooler with foil. In that case, the temperature difference is approximately zero and the radiation therefore also approximately zero.

I am determining the effectiveness of foil coatings on foam and different products and how they keep packaging contents like food cool during transit. Sorry for the confusion in the title.

One time in college in a chemistry laboratory exercise on calorimetry, we did an experiment where we wrapped the system (in a glass bottle) in aluminum foil to insulate it from radiative heat transfer and observed the results. We still had considerable heat getting into the system. One of my classmates was clever and, as I recall, he put a layer of cotton around the layer of aluminum foil, and then put on a second layer of foil. He slowed the amount of heat that got into the system considerably. ## \\ ## In the case of thermos bottle design, I think some of the better ones use two layers of glass with silver coating with a vacuum in between them.

Charles Link said:
One time in college in a chemistry laboratory exercise on calorimetry, we did an experiment where we wrapped the system (in a glass bottle) in aluminum foil to insulate it from radiative heat transfer and observed the results. We still had considerable heat getting into the system. One of my classmates was clever and, as I recall, he put a layer of cotton around the layer of aluminum foil, and then put on a second layer of foil. He slowed the amount of heat that got into the system considerably. ## \\ ## In the case of thermos bottle design, I think some of the better ones use two layers of glass with silver coating with a vacuum in between them.
From what I have read so far that's because foil won't stop thermal conduction, just radiation. I'm going to have either a layer of cardboard, then foil, then foam or foil, then cardboard, then foam. I think foil on the outermost layer will work the best. It's just a little harder to make because you need two separate packaging pieces.

What is thermal radiation?

Thermal radiation is a form of electromagnetic radiation that is emitted by objects with a temperature above absolute zero. It is a result of the movement of particles within the object, and can be felt as heat.

How does thermal radiation work inside a cooler?

Inside a cooler, thermal radiation works by transferring heat energy from the warmer objects to the cooler objects. The objects inside the cooler, such as food or drinks, emit thermal radiation in the form of infrared light. This light is then absorbed by the cooler walls, which in turn radiate the heat outwards. This process continues until the objects inside the cooler reach the same temperature as the cooler itself.

Why is thermal radiation important to consider in coolers?

Thermal radiation is important to consider in coolers because it is one of the main ways that heat is transferred. In order for a cooler to effectively keep its contents cool, it must be able to reflect or absorb thermal radiation. If a cooler is unable to do so, the contents inside may not be kept at a low temperature and may spoil or melt.

How can thermal radiation be minimized inside a cooler?

Thermal radiation can be minimized inside a cooler by using materials that have a low thermal emissivity, or the ability to emit thermal radiation. This can include materials like aluminum or foam, which can reflect or absorb thermal radiation. Additionally, keeping the cooler in a shaded area or using a cooler with thicker insulation can also help to reduce the amount of thermal radiation inside.

Is thermal radiation the only factor affecting the temperature inside a cooler?

No, thermal radiation is not the only factor affecting the temperature inside a cooler. Other factors, such as conduction and convection, also play a role in heat transfer. Conduction occurs when heat is transferred through direct contact between objects, while convection occurs when heat is transferred through the movement of fluids or gases. These factors, combined with thermal radiation, can impact the overall temperature inside a cooler.