Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal radiation of neutrons

1. Aug 5, 2013 #1
    All bodies with a temperature emit electromagnetic radiation also known as thermal radiation or blackbody radiation. If I understand it correctly, the origin of this is the thermal motion (acceleration) of the atoms and their included positive and negative charges leads to EM radiation.

Would a bunch of neutrons at, say, room temperature emit infrared radiation? I would think they would as "all bodies with a positive temperature emit electromagnetic radiation". But I'm at a loss to explain why.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2013 #2
    A bunch of neutrons at a finite temperature T would emit thermal radiation. We have even observed such objects: neutron stars. I believe their spectra are roughly blackbody, but of course there are many interesting effects that play into the precise form of the spectrum.

Are you confused because a neutral particle shouldn't couple to the EM field? Remember, though, that the neutron has a nonzero magnetic dipole moment, and it is actually composed of fractionally-charged quarks. So it can couple to the EM field.

4. Aug 7, 2013 #3
    Not only do neutrons emit electromagnetic energy [thermal energy] they actually emit electrons!! That's called beta decay. This suggests 'a neutron is a proton plus an electron combined' which is likely an over simplification that started with Rutherford.

edit: found a brief description here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutron#Intrinsic_properties

You can also tell a neutron has some EM character [electron like] because it has a magnetic dipole moment.

5. Aug 7, 2013 #4
    Forgot to say: If anything emits thermal energy, its because the emitter is not in the most stable, low energy state....so it's likely that as the neutron constitutents emit EM energy they settle to a lower energy configuration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook