Thermal Related: Heat Transfer Book?

In summary, for a course on Spacecraft Thermal Control, the recommended books for reference are Bejan's "Heat Transfer", Chapman's "Fundamentals of Heat Transfer", Gebhart's "Heat Transfer", Jana's "Engineering Heat Transfer", Holman's "Heat Transfer", Kreith and Bohn's "Principles of Heat Transfer", Lienhard's "A Heat Transfer Text Book", Ozsik's "Heat Transfer - A Basic Approach", White's "Heat and Mass Transfer", and Whitaker's "Fundamental Principles of Heat Transfer". However, the Incropera and Dewitt text, "Introduction to Heat Transfer", is also highly recommended and the fourth edition (released in 2002) is particularly useful
ColdFusion85
I am currently enrolled in a course on Spacecraft Thermal Control, and, in addition to the Satellite Thermal Control Handbook, we are to purchase a book on heat transfer to use as a reference for the course. Does anyone have any recommendations? Listed below are some of the ones the professor listed.

Bejan, A. (1993). Heat Transfer
Chapman, A.J. (1987). Fundamentals of Heat Transfer
Gebhart, B. (1971). Heat Transfer
Jana, W.S. (1986). Engineering Heat Transfer
Holman, J.P. Heat Transfer
Kreith, F. and Bohn, M.S. (1993). Principles of Heat Transfer
Lienhard, J.H. (1987). A Heat Transfer Text Book
Ozsik, M.N. (1985). Heat Transfer - A Basic Approach
White, F.M. (1988). Heat and Mass Transfer
Whitaker, S. (1981). Fundamental Principles of Heat Transfer

Engineering news on Phys.org
I used Holman and "Introduction to heat transfer" / Frank P. Incropera, David P. DeWitt.
They are both good.

GT1 said:
I used Holman and "Introduction to heat transfer" / Frank P. Incropera, David P. DeWitt.
They are both good.

I have also found the Incropera/Dewitt text to be an excellent resource for heat transfer.

It's important to note that the fourth edition (released in 2002) has many new applications and empirical approximations that early editions did not have, espcially in the areas of convection and radiation. For this reason, I would try and get the newest version of the text that you can manage.

Last edited:

1. What is thermal energy and how is it related to heat transfer?

Thermal energy is the energy that is associated with the motion of particles within a substance. Heat transfer refers to the movement of thermal energy from one object to another due to a temperature difference.

2. What are the three types of heat transfer?

The three types of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction occurs when heat is transferred through a solid material, convection is the transfer of heat through fluids, and radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How does thermal insulation work?

Thermal insulation works by reducing the transfer of heat between two objects with different temperatures. This is done by using materials with low thermal conductivity, which prevents the movement of thermal energy.

4. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same thing. Heat is the transfer of thermal energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles within a substance.

5. How is heat transfer important in everyday life?

Heat transfer is essential for many everyday activities, such as cooking, heating and cooling buildings, and transportation. It also plays a crucial role in maintaining our body temperature and regulating various natural processes on Earth.

Back