Heat Transfer Book Recommendation

In summary, the individual is looking for a heat transfer book recommendation and is struggling to understand the concepts. They have tried reading multiple textbooks but are still having difficulty. They prefer textbooks with many solved problems and a chapter on combined heat transfer. The conversation also discusses the importance of understanding prerequisite knowledge and analogies in order to fully comprehend the material.
basty
I need recommendation about heat transfer book . I am having a difficult time learning the concepts. I've tried reading several dfiferent textbooks(e.g. Cengel, Kreith, Chris Long), and though they sometimtes state the same theorem using different wording, different arguments, etc, I am still having a hard time understanding it. I often learn best when I solve problems that use concepts, but a lot of these textbooks do not have many problems or detailed step by step solutions.

What are some good heat transfer books with many solved problems and a chapter about combined heat transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena

What's combined heat transfer?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena

Transport Phenomena? I am guessing the topic is too advance for me.

I am looking for the basic / introduction of heat transfer.

Chestermiller said:
What's combined heat transfer?

Chet

Where three modes of heat transfer (conduction, convection, and radiation) are present.

I also read Incropera's book.

Last edited:
Maybe it's the language that is confusing you. Here is some text from Kreith's book:

The process of transferring heat by convection when the fluid flow is driven by an applied pressure gradient is referred to as forced convection. When this flow is confined in a tube or a duct of any arbitrary geometrical cross section, the growth and development of boundary layers are also confined. In such flows, the hydraulic diameter of the duct, rather than its length, is the characteristic length for scaling the boundary layer as well as for dimensionless representation of flow-friction loss and the heat transfer coefficient. Convective heat transfer inside tubes and ducts is encountered in numerous applications where heat exchangers, made up of circular tubes as well as a variety of non-circular cross-sectional geometries, are employed.

So this paragraph has four sentences, what do they say?
1. Definition of forced convection.
2. Boundary layers are confined in a tube or duct.
3. Hydraulic diameter is the characteristic length.
4. This part of the theory is important for heat exchangers.

Right? It's simple but hidden with rather terse language. Engineering books tend to be like that, using more words than necessary, and sometimes that makes things less clear.

Also you need to have the prerequisite knowledge. For example, we can already see that knowing what the characteristic length is and what it is used for is going to be important for this chapter. We can surmise that if we know that, what job the characteristic length plays, this chapter is not going to be difficult because it'll use it in a new way but it will be similar or analogous.

But we can also say that if we don't know what it is or don't know how it is used, this chapter will be more difficult. Probably they aren't going to explain it a lot and will just show what changes in this case. Perhaps this is what you mean when you say they discuss the same theorem with different words but it still isn't clear. It could be that you missed something earlier or don't realize that they are assuming you know something or are making a comparison or analogy.

Because analogy is very, very important. It is always important to ask, how does this compare to other situations that are similar? How is it the same and how is it different? Does it make sense why it is different like this and why it is the same like that?

For example, why does the author say "the hydraulic diameter, rather than the duct length, is used as the characteristic length"? Why should the diameter be used as the length? Until you know why, it is going to seem odd and there must be a reason why, and when you know it it'll make that much more sense.

So that's my advice, try to see what is important in the words, try to see what is assumed, try to see what analogies are being drawn, what comparisons are being made, and try to answer questions like the one above, about anything that seems odd. There must be a reason and it'll seem odd until you know the reason.

Likes dextercioby and THE BEAST

1. What are the best books for learning about heat transfer?

There are several great books for learning about heat transfer. Some popular options include "Introduction to Heat Transfer" by Frank P. Incropera and David P. DeWitt, "Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer" by Theodore L. Bergman and Adrienne S. Lavine, and "Heat Transfer" by J.P. Holman. Each of these books offers comprehensive coverage of the subject and are highly recommended by professionals in the field.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in heat transfer?

Yes, there are several books designed for beginners in heat transfer. Some options include "Heat Transfer: A Practical Approach" by Yunus A. Cengel and Afshin J. Ghajar, "A Beginner's Guide to Heat Transfer" by Jack P. Holman, and "Thermal Engineering: Heat Transfer" by P.K. Nag. These books provide a solid foundation for understanding the basics of heat transfer and are often used in introductory courses.

3. Can you recommend any books that focus on real-world applications of heat transfer?

Absolutely. "Heat Transfer Applications" by Vyacheslav S. Vikhrenko and "Heat Transfer Applications for the Practicing Engineer" by Louis Theodore and Chaim Gutfinger are both excellent options. These books provide practical examples and case studies that demonstrate the application of heat transfer principles in various industries and engineering fields.

4. Are there any books that cover advanced topics in heat transfer?

Yes, there are several books that cover advanced topics in heat transfer. Some options include "Advanced Heat Transfer" by S. Kakaç and A.E. Bergles, "Heat Transfer in Single and Multiphase Systems" by John R. Thome, and "Convection Heat Transfer" by Adrian Bejan. These books are geared towards graduate students and professionals and cover topics such as convection, radiation, and phase change heat transfer.

5. Are there any online resources or e-books for learning about heat transfer?

Yes, there are many online resources and e-books available for learning about heat transfer. Some popular options include "Heat Transfer: Exercises" by Chris Long and Naser Sayma, "Heat Transfer" by Chris Long and Naser Sayma, and "Introduction to Heat Transfer" by John H. Lienhard IV and John H. Lienhard V. These resources are often free or available at a lower cost than traditional textbooks, making them a convenient and affordable option for learning about heat transfer.