1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermal Stress (Thermodynamics)

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. Equation F/A=-Y[tex]\alpha[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]T (thermal stress) gives the stress required to keep the length of a rod constant as its temperature changes. Show that if the length is permitted to change by an amount [tex]\Delta[/tex]L when its temperature changes by [tex]\Delta[/tex]T, the stress is equal to F/A = Y(([tex]\Delta[/tex]L/L[tex]_{}0[/tex])-[tex]\alpha\Delta[/tex]T) where F is the tension on the rod, L(naut) is the original length of the rod, A its cross-sectional area, alpha its coefficient of linear expansion, and Y its Young's modulus.

i don't know where to start can somebody help? this thermal stress is stressing me out

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2
    please help any feedback im begging you

4. Sep 20, 2009 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the length changes by dL what does the volume change by? So what does the area, A, change by? How does this affect the stress, F/A?

AM

5. Sep 20, 2009 #4

if the length changes the area would increase and the pressure would decrease. i'm not sure how you "Show This" though

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook