1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Thermo - Gibbs Free Energy & Entropy

1. Apr 1, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider fuel cell using methane as fuel. Reaction is

CH^4 + 2O_2 -> 2H2O+CO_2

Assume room temperature and atmospheric temperature
    Determine values of delta H (Helmholtz) and delta G (Gibbs) for this reaction for one mole of methane.

Question instructed the use of the web to find thermodynamic tables with values of H and G for the chemicals in the reaction

2. Relevant equations
    I haven't encountered this sort of question where substitution of "real" values is necessary. Hence I've used this site as a reference:

I think I found H alright (-802.3kJ), but to find G I need entropy (delta S)

3. The attempt at a solution

dG = dH - T.dS

dS = Sum of products (RHS) - Sum of reactants (LHS)
    = [2(188.7)+213.7]-[186.3 + 2(205)]
    = -5.2 (but isn't an entropy of less than zero impossible?)

The problem lies in the uncertainty of me obtaining an negative delta S :confused:

Thanks in advance for any hints/tips
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2007 #2
    Actually, that formula uses [itex] \ \Delta G \ = \Delta H \ - \ T\Delta S_{internal}[/itex]

and, [itex]\Delta S_{internal}+\Delta S_{surrounding}=\Delta S_{total} \geq 0[/itex]
    See here
  4. Apr 1, 2007 #3
    Thanks for your reply.

So in this case the answer I obtained is correct?

dS_total is > 0, but the entropy of the 'external' system (the "universe"?) balances the negative entropy of the internal system (the reaction and its components in the engine)

^Is this line of thinking correct^

If it is, then:

dG = -802.3 - (300K * (-5.2/1000))
    = -800.74 kJ

^Answer obtained^
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?