Thermocouples: Size vs. Number, plus other questions

• Thread starter Sravoff
  • Start date
In summary, using heavier gauge wires will create a lower resistance thermopile, and using a higher temperature solder might be difficult.
Sravoff
I am working on a solar oven powered thermopile and am trying to figure out how big to make the individual thermocouples. The easiest materials for me to get a hold of will be iron and nickel, Which will give me a seebeck coefficient difference of about 34, so I will need quite a few of these. How does the size of the metals used change the volts/amperes? How does a junction of two one inch-diameter bars differ from a junction of wires? O haven't found anything online that talks about this yet, and would love a pointer in the right direction.

Also, I am planning on using a parabolic solar oven to do the heating work. My design is a stack: ceramic tile, thermopile, ceramic pile, piped water cooled by an evaporation apparatus, a heat sink, then a shade structure on top covered in the same reflective surface as the dish to keep the sun from baking the heat sink. If anyone has suggestions on that aspect of the design, I am all ears.

I am basing the stack off of this design:http://www.tegpower.com/index.html, though I added the water cooling to it. I am unsure how to get my hands on actual semiconductors, thus my iron and nickel plan.

With all of this I hope to run a small fm radio while the sun is out, so I will only need around 9 volts. I am going off the assumption I can connect thermo couples in series/parallel as I could with dc batteries to attain the required voltage, is that correct?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sravoff said:
I am working on a solar oven powered thermopile and am trying to figure out how big to make the individual thermocouples. The easiest materials for me to get a hold of will be iron and nickel, Which will give me a seebeck coefficient difference of about 34, so I will need quite a few of these. How does the size of the metals used change the volts/amperes? How does a junction of two one inch-diameter bars differ from a junction of wires?
Physical size makes no difference to the potential developed, as far as I'm aware. But heavier gauge wires will have lower resistance, and if you intend building up a high voltage stack its current capacity will be limited by its resistance.

Thermopiles in domestic use have been tried before. I recall Soviet Russia manufactured a home kerosene lamp with an integrated thermopile, the device providing the peasant with light, heat, and electricity sufficient to power a modest radio. It was not a compact design.

Yes, you connect thermocouples in series for a higher voltage.

Thanks Nascent, that is what I needed to know.

The teg power link I posted claims to have created a few thermo piles that charge a 12 volt battery off a wood stove. They use n and p semiconductors, where I'll be using nickel/iron junctions so mine won't at all be as efficient, but I think theirs is a step up from the soviet kerosene thermopile.

I'm sure the web will be a good source of hobbyist articles on DIY thermocouples. But I expect "iron" to also be associated with a short life due to corrosion, unless steps are taken to inhibit it. Also, creating reliable metal-metal junctions might be difficult, and a spot-welder may provide the answer; failing that, a powerful crimper. Twisted joins would be good only for a demo model. A high temperature solder would be dicey. :wink:

Good luck with your project.

Yeah, the iron is beginning to look like a problem, I'll have to fix that somehow.

Going from zero to a working thermocouple is proving to be a path fraught with many dead ends--helluvah learning experience though, thanks!

1. What is the relationship between the size and number of thermocouples?

The size and number of thermocouples are inversely proportional. This means that as the size of the thermocouple increases, the number of thermocouples required decreases. This is because larger thermocouples can cover a larger surface area and provide more accurate temperature readings.

2. What is the ideal size for a thermocouple?

The ideal size for a thermocouple depends on the specific application and temperature range. In general, larger thermocouples are better for high temperature applications, while smaller thermocouples are better for low temperature applications. It is important to consult with a thermocouple manufacturer to determine the best size for your specific needs.

3. Does the number of thermocouples affect the accuracy of temperature readings?

Yes, the number of thermocouples can affect the accuracy of temperature readings. The more thermocouples that are used, the more accurate the temperature readings will be. This is because each thermocouple adds another data point, which can help to average out any potential errors or variations.

4. Can different sized thermocouples be used together in a temperature measurement system?

Yes, different sized thermocouples can be used together in a temperature measurement system. However, it is important to ensure that all thermocouples are of the same type and have the same temperature range. If there are any differences in size, this should be taken into account when calculating the overall temperature reading.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when choosing between thermocouple size and number?

Yes, there are several other factors to consider when choosing between thermocouple size and number. These include the cost of the thermocouples, the space available for installation, and the response time required. It is important to balance all of these factors to determine the best option for your specific application.