Thermodymanics dealing with pressure, temperauture, and constants

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving a bubble of air rising from the bottom of a lake to the surface. The ideal gas law is used, with the hint that nR must be constant, to compare conditions at the bottom and top of the lake. It is determined that the pressure at the bottom is greater due to the weight of water, and the desired volume can be found by adding the atmospheric pressure to the pressure at the bottom. After some discussion and clarification, the correct solution is reached.
name_ask17

Homework Statement

A bubble of air, 0.010m^3 in volume , is formed at the bottom of a lake which is 30m deep and where the temoperature is 8 degrees c. The bubble risees to the surface, where the water temp is 26 deg c and where the pressure is atmospheric pressure. What is the volume of the bubble just as it reaches the surface?

Homework Equations

Im not sure how to attempt this problem but i used pv=nrt
r=8.31

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the n and the R have to stay constant, so i attempted by saying 100000(atmospheric pressure)*(.01)=(n)*(8.31)*(26-8)
but when i do that, i don't understand what i am solving for
will you please tell me if i am headed in the correct direction to solve this problem? thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to compare conditions at the bottom of the lake to those at the top:
What's the pressure at the bottom?

Hint: You know that nR must be constant, thus PV/T = nR must also be constant.

(Make sure you measure temperature using the Kelvin scale.)

how do i find pressure at the bottom?
and am i attempting to use the right equation?

name_ask17 said:
how do i find pressure at the bottom?
The pressure at the bottom will be greater due to the weight of the water. How does pressure increase with depth?
and am i attempting to use the right equation?
Yes, the ideal gas law is the correct equation. But make use of my hint.

im still confused on how to do this. the pressure at the bottom of the lake would be 294000 and at the top it would just be atmospheric pressure, which is 100000.
and i understand what you are saying in the hint but can you please explain to me how i will use that in the problem? i think i am missing an important concept to understand thsi problem

P1v1/t1 = p2v2/t2

when i do this, i get the answer of .09555, but the answer should be .0419. what am i doing wrong?
i did 294000*.010/8=100000v/26

i can't seem to see where i am going wrong

What lies above the water's surface? What's the pressure at the surface? How about a mm below the surface? 30m below?

gneill said:
What lies above the water's surface? What's the pressure at the surface? How about a mm below the surface? 30m below?

wouldnt the pressure at the surface just be air pressure (100000)
and 30m below the surface would be pgh=1000(9.8)(30)=294000?

name_ask17 said:
and 30m below the surface would be pgh=1000(9.8)(30)=294000?
pgh is just the increase in pressure due to the water. Don't forget that the air also presses down on the water.

gneill, can you check above at the problem abd see what i am doing wrong? i have been working on this problem forever and i don't get it. please help me. thanks

doc al, i still don't understand what i am doing wrong

so it woulld be 294000 +100000?

OHHHH! i got it! Thank you so much DOC AL and GNEILL!

name_ask17 said:
so it woulld be 294000 +100000?
Yes. The pressure at the bottom of the lake = atmospheric pressure + pgh.

1. What is the relationship between pressure and temperature in thermodynamics?

In thermodynamics, pressure and temperature are directly proportional. This means that as temperature increases, pressure also increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the ideal gas law, PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. Can pressure and temperature affect the state of matter?

Yes, pressure and temperature can both affect the state of matter. By changing the pressure and temperature of a substance, it is possible to change its state from solid to liquid, liquid to gas, or vice versa. This is known as a phase change and is described by the phase diagram of the substance.

3. How does the gas constant affect thermodynamic calculations?

The gas constant, represented by the symbol R, is a constant value that relates the properties of a gas to each other. It is used in various thermodynamic equations, such as the ideal gas law, to calculate the relationships between pressure, temperature, and volume of a gas. Different gases have different values for the gas constant, depending on their molecular properties.

4. What is the significance of temperature in thermodynamics?

Temperature plays a crucial role in thermodynamics as it is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. It is used to determine the direction and extent of heat transfer in a system and is also used in various thermodynamic equations to calculate the relationships between different properties of a substance.

5. How do pressure and temperature affect the behavior of gases?

Pressure and temperature significantly influence the behavior of gases. An increase in temperature causes gas particles to move faster, resulting in increased pressure. On the other hand, an increase in pressure can also cause gases to become more compressible and behave more like liquids. Changes in pressure and temperature can also affect the solubility of gases in liquids.